Of Funerals and Fish

In F & F, Clegg takes flowers to his wife's grave. Is this a universal theme or what? In the very first Inspector Lewis episode, the very first thing Lewis does is to put flowers on his wife's grave.

It came from Amazon. You could ask the question there.

Thanks, but trying to get an answer from amazon or ebay is a waste of time.

Have searched endlessly for a DVD player that will be region free
and play AVI and MP4 files. No luck at all. Came close but when
I examined the "claims" found they disagreed with themselves.

alas

chuck

Thanks, but trying to get an answer from amazon or ebay is a waste of time.
chuck

YMMV, of course, but when I've had a detail question about an item I'm considering on Amazon and I've posted it in the "Ask the Community" section of the item page, I've usually had several answers that turned out to be valid within 48 hours.

MP4 files off a USB flash drive?

chuck

I am not a computer expert, but it seems like there has to be software somewhere on the market that converts MP4 files to Avi. Have you checked with someone like Best Buy or a respectable retailer that won't sell you a virus loaded program?

there has to be software somewhere on the market that converts MP4 files to Avi

Yes, and every time I download an MP4 file I have to convert it to
and AVI file using a program like Any Video Converter. Works, but
it is really a pain in the as*.

I just did a quick search for info on the Samsung player Marianna mentioned. Looks like it will only play .avi files via USB, so no .mp4 playback.

I just bought a new Blu-Ray player, the Sony BDPS-5500, which will play mp4 files from USB. I've tried a few downloaded .mp4 files with it, and they've all worked so far. It plays .mkv files as well. Here is the full list of what it will play: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-info.pl?info_id=959

I bought the region-free version from 220-electronics.com. Haven't used it for very long, but so far it's a pretty good little player.

I just did a quick search for info on the Samsung player Marianna mentioned. Looks like it will only play .avi files via USB, so no .mp4 playback.

I just bought a new Blu-Ray player, the Sony BDPS-5500, which will play mp4 files from USB. I've tried a few downloaded .mp4 files with it, and they've all worked so far. It plays .mkv files as well. Here is the full list of what it will play: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-info.pl?info_id=959

I bought the region-free version from 220-electronics.com. Haven't used it for very long, but so far it's a pretty good little player.

The 2015 model is available on Amazon.com at a greatly reduced price.

The 2015 model is available on Amazon.com at a greatly reduced price.

I'd say that's probably the regular version of the player, unless it specifically says it's region free. The regular version is cheaper, but only plays Region 1 DVDs. The one at 220-electronics has been hardware modified to play all regions of DVDs, and it also has a PAL to NTSC converter built-in. If it would only be used for .mp4 and .mkv files and region 1 discs, the regular version is the way to go for sure. I got the region free version because I have a bunch of region 2 DVDs.

I'd say that's probably the regular version of the player, unless it specifically says it's region free. The regular version is cheaper, but only plays Region 1 DVDs. The one at 220-electronics has been hardware modified to play all regions of DVDs, and it also has a PAL to NTSC converter built-in. If it would only be used for .mp4 and .mkv files and region 1 discs, the regular version is the way to go for sure. I got the region free version because I have a bunch of region 2 DVDs.

There's a SONY model S5500RF region-free way below list price on Amazon. It's identical to the BDP-S5500 except that the dealer has omitted the BDP (Blu-Ray Disc) initials from the start of the model number and has added RF (Region Free) to the end. It appears to be identical to the BDP-S5500 except for being region free.

I have just ordered an inexpensive Philips that the seller guarantees
will play both AVI and MP4 files and is region-free. We shall see.

If it fails, back it goes and PayPal covers me.

thanks

chuck

Back