Ronald Chesney RIP

captain clutterbuck

LOTSW Fanatic
I am sure Raggy will have heard being an avid fan but Ronald Chesney sadly passed away aged 98 . With Ronnie Wolfe he was responsible for some of the UK's great comedy shows which also were a stepping stone for some Comic actors and Actresses on their way to our beloved Great show . The ground breaking Rag Trade with June Whitfield[of course] and Frank Thornton [and as an aside a very young Judy Carne who found great fame in the US with Rowan and Martin's Laugh In] . The wonderful On the Buses with of course Smiler , Stephen Lewis and Meet the Wife with Dame Thora Hird .

Prior to this they started writing for the Educating Archie Radio Show with the infamous Peter Brough who was a really poor ventriloquist which is fine on Radio but when he transferred to TV was a complete disaster. Ronald also wrote a part for himself in the show as a talking harmonica novelty act. With his death and that of Alan Simpson last year we have lost some of the pioneers of British Comedy in a short period of time . A sad loss

No I wasn’t aware of it as I’ve been to an auction all day and it’s strictly phones on silent or turned off.
That really is a great shame. A prolific writer as you’ve stated,together with Ronnie Wolfe. A sad loss indeed and unfortunately not many left now.

I just looked him up , I didn’t realise he died on the 12th of this month. I’ll have to start going back on the On The Buses website more often !

Don't you hate reading an article, then you get 1/2 way through and they want you to pay... Aaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!

Back