Series 10, Episode 4; That Certain Smile

wstol

Dedicated Member
A very good episode. Over the years in tv and radio many a comic situation has been created in hospital visiting (just look at Small Tune on a Penny Wassail).

But what is most memorable is that it introduced us to Stephen Lewis as Clem Hemingway who somehow became known as Smiler two years later. This is a great performance by Lewis here, and you can see why they wanted to bring him back.

this is my second favourite from this year (behind treasure of the deep) its a classic situation 4 any situation comedy and is worked perfectly 4 summer wine, stephen lewis gave a great performance here as clem (later 2 become smiler) and i love the scenes with clems wife and the trio when she says compo was a prat at school and seymour says he has a solution and she thinks its 4 curing prats and also later in the episode where seymour says clem wud b happier with a walk 2 the window and clem says he's not tht miserable, both of those are classic summer wine and 2 very funny scenes, if treasure of the deep wasnt in this series this 1 wud b the best, as it is its the second best imo. 8/10

This is an excellent episode from the Seymour years and my favourite scene is when Cleggy mentions to Seymour that everyone seems to talk in whispers in the Hospital and then we hear the dulcit tones of Compo shouting,"Hey Missus"!!.I usually rewind this scene quite a few times whenever i watch this episode and laugh everytime.

Hector.