Shirt and tie

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
I often wondered why Barry only seemed to have one tie and Tom only one shirt (Lavender check). I could understand Tom`s wardrobe being limited taken after his dad,but with Barry working for a building society I would have thought he would have had a drawer full of them!

I think part of that would be to do with continuity, if they stay in the same clothes they can shoot in any order without any delays of changing clothes especially when they was on location

The tie Barry wore was a M & S one - I had a very similar one (slightly different colour way) but long ago consigned to the rubbish tip. i think mine got stained with ink or something.

I do suspect that it was to help continuity: Clegg nearly always wore the same red tie, although in the early series it was sometimes black. Foggy and Blamire had military ties, both RASC I think.

The tie Barry wore was a M & S one - I had a very similar one (slightly different colour way) but long ago consigned to the rubbish tip. i think mine got stained with ink or something.

I do suspect that it was to help continuity: Clegg nearly always wore the same red tie, although in the early series it was sometimes black. Foggy and Blamire had military ties, both RASC I think.

OK, clue me in -- what do all of these initials stand for? Thanks.

The M and S stand for Marks and Spencers ,a major retailer in Britain. RASC stands for Royal Army Signals Corps. ,A branch of the army to do with(I think) communication and logistics. :)

I often wondered why Barry only seemed to have one tie and Tom only one shirt (Lavender check). I could understand Tom`s wardrobe being limited taken after his dad,but with Barry working for a building society I would have thought he would have had a drawer full of them!

Actually, it was a lavender plaid.

Nice point. My opinion is that to be a plaid it would inherently be a clan tartan. Otherwise, it is a check.

There is a very rude expanation of REME but I cant remember it ,it came from other regiments in the British Army who all were rude about eac other and still are. ;D ;D ;D

Nice point. My opinion is that to be a plaid it would inherently be a clan tartan. Otherwise, it is a check.
\

How interesting!!

In case anyone is wants to know, across the Pond, any arrangement of vertical and horizontal stripes in any form is called a plaid. And there are times when a clan tartan is used and identified as such.

Back