Smoking in summer Wine

amos hames

Dedicated Member
In the very early days of the show some of the characters smoked,this seemed
to wind down over the years when it came a bit taboo to show people smoking
on tv,I noticed that cleggy smoked and compo but i,m not sure about any of the others although i recall that Howard mentions in a episode that Pearl had crushed
a whole packet of cigarettes his favourite filter tip.Has anyone else smoked in the series that you can think of.

I read somewhere(possibly A Vines book)that they wanted to attract either a younger or family type(cant rem now) audience so the smoking and extremely mild swearing was dropped.

I remember seeing the episode where Wesley smokes and for some reason it really surprised me and i couldnt tell you why.

Hector.

In the first Seymour series he used to ahve a pipe sticking out of the top of oen of his jacket pockets: by the last series it had disappeared, as too had the mild swearing - thus Ivy said "blood and stomach pills" rather than "bloody".

I was watching short back and palis glide this morning and i noticed that Judd the barber was smoking while cutting Blamires hair.

In the Summer Wine tour dvd Juliette Kaplan was seen smoking off camera,but we never saw the ladies smoking in the show.Even Stella quit.

I think with Juliette Kaplan you can hear in her voice she is a smoker, it has become more and more hoarse.
I wouldn´t be surprised if the stopping of smoking in LOTSW coincided with Peter Sallis really quitting smoking, he told me he smoked for a while, but stopped a few decades ago. I think it was vogue for most people to smoke in those days and many never quit.

Back