Spiders time of year......

gothic

Administrator
Staff member
'tis the spiders witching hour.... must be that time of year for them. My bedroom spider, Fred the son of Fred, was seen out of his usual corner, then this evening Albertine (the lounge spider) was seen pirouetting across the carpet, she's that big you could almost hear her footsteps (or is that in my imagination).

Two of the lads I had to rehouse (after cleaning behind the washing machine) were seen in their new home behind the fridge forming a folk duo!

I like my spiders, we seem to have an understanding, they keep to their corner(s) and I keep to mine and we get on with life. This time of year, when the missus sees Bert in the Bath, or boldly sitting in the middle of a pale coloured floor/wall/ceiling they're only satisfying their need, and it's only for a week or so every year, please be patient with them, they are our friends!

UMMM.....HELLO!!!...Spiders?...AUSTRALIA?...you kill THEM before they kill YOU! :33::33::33:
Spider "season" here in West OZ is around January but that just means there are even MORE of the damn things.
Did a spring clean of the back patio yesterday, probably got rid of around 100 or so of various sizes. (Nothing TOO big...you know , just dinner plate size! ) :08::08:

I've evicted 2 large spiders and 1 got away so bugger is in here somewhere! The only thing keeping me from burning the house down is the husband!

There was an oldish lady who swallowed a fly
I don’t know why she swallowed a fly – Perhaps she’ll die!
There was an oldish lady who swallowed a spider
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her!

:eek: Oh no I've recited this out loud I'm dead :13:

'tis the spiders witching hour.... must be that time of year for them. My bedroom spider, Fred the son of Fred, was seen out of his usual corner, then this evening Albertine (the lounge spider) was seen pirouetting across the carpet, she's that big you could almost hear her footsteps (or is that in my imagination).

Two of the lads I had to rehouse (after cleaning behind the washing machine) were seen in their new home behind the fridge forming a folk duo!

I like my spiders, we seem to have an understanding, they keep to their corner(s) and I keep to mine and we get on with life. This time of year, when the missus sees Bert in the Bath, or boldly sitting in the middle of a pale coloured floor/wall/ceiling they're only satisfying their need, and it's only for a week or so every year, please be patient with them, they are our frien

I opened my front door and found that Gertrude had started a substantial web at the top. It was too close for comfort so I took it down with my walking stick. She was last seen walking quickly across the front stoop.

It's everything's time of year here, the nights are getting cooler and everything hangs around the door in hope of getting in. The worst are those Chinese stink bugs that managed to find their way over here a few years ago. They try and get in so they can lay eggs. They haven't been bad this year and I kill what I see, so maybe we're winning the battle? Then you have the airborne divisions of Flies and Mosquitoes. Also, I did kill a good sized spider over the weekend, the first I'd seen in awhile...

It seems they were accidentally released in Pennsylvania in the late 1990s over there and have now been reported to Portugal and Switzerland! So they're heading here.

You'll love them Pearl, you really have to watch doors and windows in fall. I don't think the scent is that terrible, it's kind of musky in my opinion..

Last edited:
One of the newer bugs here, which basically appeared in PLAGUE proportions overnight a few years ago are Portuguese Millipedes.

No one here had even heard of them basically and LITERALLY overnight after a rain a few years ago they were everywhere!
I am not talking about finding have a dozen here and there in various places, sides of buildings were BLACK with them! even inside they infested everywhere, and if you crushed them they gave off the most obnoxious odour. Thankfully over the last few years their numbers seem to have been whittled down and they are nowhere as bad, but still you get them after rain.
I don't know where they came from (Portugal?? :08:) and I cannot be bothered looking it up, just wish they would b*gger off to wherever it is. :13:

The last couple of evenings I've noticed quite a few slugs on the sidewalk. Must be the time of year? I know this weekend we're going to be in the 50's F for the high at 40's F at night. They're thinking this is going to be a bad winter, the last thing I want is a 3 foot snow..

Back