Summer Wine Business Opportunities...

I've no idea how much they're asking for each. The tour bus is basically a 20 year old vehicle and the goodwill of the business. I'm not sure if the exhibition includes Compo's house or just the exhibits. If it does include the latter I fear someone will buy it and just convert it into a house/flat.

Sadly you fear for both , the fan base is ageing so the demand for either as an attraction is diminishing . Any potential purchaser of the Tour Bus could do with Leigh's/ Terry's/Roger's input to revise the "script" and hope that the footfall grows . No criticism but the exhibition could do with some remodelling because its a collection of props and perhaps would benefit from being laid out in a more informative manner but you fear it could go and the items auctioned . An example of the diminishing audience is perhaps the fact the Jean's scripts did not sell , go back a few years and they would have been snapped up at premium prices. :(

Sadly you fear for both , the fan base is ageing so the demand for either as an attraction is diminishing . Any potential purchaser of the Tour Bus could do with Leigh's/ Terry's/Roger's input to revise the "script" and hope that the footfall grows . No criticism but the exhibition could do with some remodelling because its a collection of props and perhaps would benefit from being laid out in a more informative manner but you fear it could go and the items auctioned . An example of the diminishing audience is perhaps the fact the Jean's scripts did not sell , go back a few years and they would have been snapped up at premium prices. :(
I think these days folk don't have as much spare cash to buy these treasured items, maybe they will auction them again at lower estimates, also the cost of hotels and B&B's is creeping up, once again where folk would have a few days in Holmfirth they cannot afford it, I noticed eating out was getting expensive and the pubs that used to serve food 7 days a week were down to just 3 or 4 days, folk told me the Bay Horse was expensive but compared to some it's middle of the road prices, the best quality and value I found recently was the Fleece in Holme, a few mile out of town and oddly a good bus service if you don't have a car.

If the LOSW shop and exhibition is selling up then it must be low numbers and no longer a viable business model, though both could do with a revamp, with the exhibition I don't think much has changed over the years, so once you have been you have seen it, the shop also went online so maybe they can run this from home,without the cost of running a shop, the shops opening times seems to be very hit and miss over the last few years, if someone has made a special visit and the attractions they have gone for are closed, they probably won't come back.

I believe the tour bus has done the same route for many years, maybe they could of done the odd Meltham/Marsden extended trip a couple of times a week as plenty of filming was done in these locations.

I think the entry to the exhibition is £3 each for adults not sure how much kids are. Anecdotally from what I've seen I bet they don't average more than about 20 or 30 visitors a day some days many less. By the time you've paid someones wages and the bills I can't imagine there's much profit left. Therefore I understand why they've not spent a lot on revamping it, but I agree with Terry once you've seen it you've seen it and it desperately need freshening up.

It breaks my heart as a fan to see Holmfirths links with LOTSW gradually fade away. Personally I think the Kirklees Council should be doing more to preserve the link, but from what I hear they're completely disinterested. Like the many churches, community centres & pubs that were once vibrant, if the footfall isn't there they won't survive.

I have seen Holmfirth becoming more gentrified in the 20 years or so I've been visiting and that inevitably means higher prices for eating out.

By the sound of things it needs what is called in parks and museums as "interpretive" design and layout assistance. Likewise what keeps visitors returning is some form of rotating theme-based exhibit program(me). It doesn't have to be complicated but it does take some work, planning and publicizing.

Back