Summer Wine Fan in Music City USA

GlenAlan

I'm so happy I found this Website in the past couple days. I've enjoyed "Last of the Summer Wine" on Nashville's PBS channel since circa 2010. I channel-surfed into the show following a late newscast (10-10:30pm) -- and got hooked at once by the humor!

My first viewing of LotSW came while Truly (Frank Thornton) was the third guy in the main trio. Honestly I didn't find the show quite as enjoyable after Compo's death and the relegation of Truly and Clegg to secondary roles in the face of a whole new trio. Once the Nashville PBS station arrived at the concluding episode they started all over again with the very first episode. Eventually PBS got to the time when the third man of the main trio was Foggy Dewhurst. What fun he was, getting the trio into trouble!

My favorite of all the characters is Norman Clegg (Peter Sallis). He reminds me so much of myself -- altho I lack his fear of interaction with women and lack his overabundant layers of apparel! I appreciate how Sallis is the one actor who was in every episode of the show, and how Clegg with his philosophical and steady nature was a counter to scruffy Compo and the third man.

My favorite secondary character (non-trio) was Sid of the café (John Comer). His fierce arguments with wife Ivy didn't disguise for me that the couple loved each other, and I greatly enjoyed how he was the only villager who seemed to like getting tangled in the main trio's scheming! It's a great loss that Comer succumbed to cancer after only a few seasons on the show.

~ GlenAlan
Nashville, Tennessee USA

Hi there Glen and welcome to the forum. If your'e a Summer Wine fan you will love it here. One or two members are a bit wicked, just don't turn your back and you'll be fine :wink:;D

Yes welcome Glen and some of the Ladies here will give the LOSW ladies a run for their money,keep your head down and you should be okay

Oi Floyd!! Who's that aimed at? :46:

Welcome Glen, take no notice of John we're all friendly :17: :35::35:

Yes welcome Glen and some of the Ladies here will give the LOSW ladies a run for their money,keep your head down and you should be okay

I've just told John off looked up and there's your post Terry!
The cheek of the man round here......... Sheesh :whisper:

another Tennessean!!

Glen Alan, I just sent you a message on fixing your profile picture. I am right down the road about 35 miles in Spring Hill. I also watch at 10:30 on NPT, yet I love to get out my DVD collection and watch my compo series. PBS is up to I think 2001 shows, I haven't seen any past 2003 I believe. So from one Volunteer to another, welcome to the forum. The time difference is hard to get use to. I turn on the Telly and log on knowing, my friends are fast asleep on the other side of the pond. Great people here, and I don't know anyone that would give the ladies in the "tea and coffee group" a run for their money:30:. You will like it here if you are a fan. Welcome!

Confession: When last month the Nashville PBS run of Summer Wine got back to Compo's death I stopped watching. I really didn't think the show was quite as enjoyable in its later seasons, especially after they relegated Truly and Clegg to secondary roles (in the face of a whole new trio).

BUT. . . now that I've discovered and joined this Summerwine.com Website, I'm back to watching the post-Compo episodes. And enjoying them more this second time around! :)

Hello Glen. I'm Beth from Indiana. Glad to have you here. We women only correct those men when it is necessary and appropriate. Just wanting to clear that up. ;D. Actually you will find we are much like a family here. :)

Hello Glen. I'm Beth from Indiana. Glad to have you here. We women only correct those men when it is necessary and appropriate. Just wanting to clear that up. ;D. Actually you will find we are much like a family here. :)

Yes, but you do have to understand that they can come up with some pretty esoteric concepts as to what is 'necessary and appropriate'. The phrase 'anything goes' does come to mind.

:whisper::whisper::whisper: :46::46: :13::13: :unhappy::unhappy: :17::17:

The idea of " anything goes " is usually started by the males. Anything can set them off!! Absolutely anything!! You won't believe where the conversation ended when the Railway Children was a topic :eek::eek:

You'll quite safe apart from the odd escapee we have them pretty much under control :46::46:

;D

Hope you like to aggregate and to be aggravated just like the LOTSW group. We do that quite a bit here as if you haven't noticed. ;) We really like each other. ;D

Hope you like to aggregate and to be aggravated just like the LOTSW group. We do that quite a bit here as if you haven't noticed. ;) We really like each other. ;D

Do you really mean 'aggregate' as in 'form or group into a class or cluster'?
"socio-occupational groups aggregate men sharing similar kinds of occupation"

Aye, that might be right.

:14: :14:

The idea of " anything goes " is usually started by the males. Anything can set them off!! Absolutely anything!! You won't believe where the conversation ended when the Railway Children was a topic :eek::eek:

'Twere all a perfectly natural progression of aesthetic thinking.

Leave it to you Big Unc to correct my spelling. :) No I meant aggrevate as in irritate and desire to chase with a brush. ;D

Did I misspell it again? aggravate .....well yes I did.....don't you dare make a comment Unc! I still have the brush and I know how to use it. Pearl showed me. :cool: ;D

'Twere all a perfectly natural progression of aesthetic thinking.

Perfectly natural progression?? In a mans head only! Trains to naked woman in less that 10 posts! mmm

Sorry Glen, we nice really honest ;D;D

Hi, Glen. I'm Marianna from upstate New York. You'll find us a friendly lot and the web site is great fun, as well as informative.

Enjoy! :17:

Back