the interior of Compo's house

manfromoswestry

Dedicated Member
Other than "Some Enchanted Evening", anyone know of other episodes where we see detailed layouts of the inside of Compo's house? I know there were others where we see the main living space, but I'm referring to the entire house top to bottom.

Interesting question, I always thought at the beginning there was not actually a "top", it seemed as if he only had the bottom floor. I might be mistaken, but I think we never saw him anywhere upstairs during the first decade at least.

We see Compos living room and bedroom in quick quick slow where they bring Smiler in and compo says"THERES ME FERRETS" and Smiler responds "why do i want your ferrets"
Compo"Well you've nicked my best bird you may as well have my ferrets".I think we also see both floors in some early episodes although we never see his bathroom and in some episodes he is making cups of tea in the living room so we can assume that he didn't have a kitchen.

This has nothing to do with Compo's house but Nora's front door. It os always blue but it does change. Sometimes it is just a blue wooden door and the next it has 6 small windows etc. Is the change a decision of the show or the real owners? When it had windows I use to say that Nora needn't opened the door when it was Compo as she would know who it was..

In early episodes there is a sink in the corner to the left of the window,we see it in Merry Heatwave and Earnshaw Strikes Again but after a few series it is no longer there

This has nothing to do with Compo's house but Nora's front door. It os always blue but it does change. Sometimes it is just a blue wooden door and the next it has 6 small windows etc. Is the change a decision of the show or the real owners? When it had windows I use to say that Nora needn't opened the door when it was Compo as she would know who it was..
It was pale yellow once

Apart from the bedroom and living room,the only other one i can remember seeing is what looked like a pantry just off the main room(Ferret come home).
When i first started to watch Summerwine i was continually trying to figure out how Compo got to the bedroom.The stairs were situated directly behind his front door and would have lead up to Noras kitchen.In the end i just put it down to artistic license ;D

Hector

I think some of the confusion about Norah and Compo's dwellings relates to the possible fact that his was partly under hers, his door is under her stairs. This was quite common in parts of West Yorkshire especially around Hebden Bridge.

Where properties built on hillsides could have two floors one side and four the other you could find two houses built together, one on top of the other but also partly side by side. I once stayed in a house near Norah's and from the main road it looked like a two storey dwelling: You went in and there were stairs up to the first floor and then ladder stairs to an attic above with a velux type window.

But from the back there were four floors and the two floors at the bottom were another house: the one I went into had no exit at the back, thus a "through by light" property as it is known. The one underneath would have had windows only on one side as the back was under the edge of the nearby A624 (I think).

But it would seem that Compo's house was partly under Norah's and partly under a neighbours.

The door was originally yellow but then changed to blue - being hung the othe way round as well.

Nora's house is very odd,as on the ground floor there is just a kitchen,when you go to the 2nd floor it stretches across the house next door,so I believe when Compo used to look out of his bedroom window he was in fact in the same house used as Nora's house

In early episodes there is a sink in the corner to the left of the window,we see it in Merry Heatwave and Earnshaw Strikes Again but after a few series it is no longer there

I remember the sink when Nora threw a bucket of water on Compo. It was love I am sure. LOL

Nora's house is very odd,as on the ground floor there is just a kitchen,when you go to the 2nd floor it stretches across the house next door,so I believe when Compo used to look out of his bedroom window he was in fact in the same house used as Nora's house

Yes on the right there was a kitchen but on the left there was a sitting room. I remember Compo planted a kiss on Nora in that room..

Yes on the right there was a kitchen but on the left there was a sitting room. I remember Compo planted a kiss on Nora in that room..

No sitting room on the left,that was done in the studio set and I always expected there to a room on the left,all there is on the ground floor is Kitchen and stairs to 1st floor

That's what I've been thinking in reading this thread, how different the place looked suddenly when Alvin moved in. It seems to have been completely changed (on the inside), modernized, no longer dark and dingy and just looked like a different place. Of course, the answer in reality is they changed the set for Alvin's house interior scenes. But seems to me they should have used Compo's old house design at least, even if they wanted to spruce it up, it should have resembled Compo's interior design.

If it had been rented, and this would be my contention - Compo would never have owned a house - the the landlord might well have totally revamped it. Most houses where I live get such treatment every few tenants from landlords.

Compo's house interior has changed heaps over the years. In the early years, it was a grey color and looked dark and dingy:
_47979294_006381664-1.jpg

Also, does anyone know where that other door in nora's house leads to? it's right beside her front door:
p006dflq_640_360.jpg

Nora's also had about 3 different front doors. The original one was yellow i believe, then the blue one with the long window down the middle, then the last one with about 8 square windows.

The door on the right leads to the kitchen,the only room on that floor

But I thought Nora's kitchen was to the left of her door?, at least, that's how i've always visioned it.

Does this mean compo's bedroom window and the kitchen window are the exact same room?

Yes I totally agree that the kitchen is on the left as you enter her house.

Back