the link between LOTSW & Are You Being Served

manfromoswestry

Dedicated Member
the link between LOTSW & Are You Being Served

I know Frank Thornton and Trevor Bannister carried over from AYBS to LOTSW, and I think Nicholas Smith has a bit part in an episode, but did any other AYBS actors make appearances on LOTSW?

Re: the link between LOTSW & Are You Being Served

That would take some thinking about :-X
If you added Dads Army into the mix we could have some fun with this one ;D

Regarding Frank Thorton which role did you think suited hime best or did both roles give him credit? Captain Peacock or Truly of the yard?? To me it's very hard to choose because he is an amazing good actor..

I personally prefer him as Captain Peacock, as it just seems more like him. He seems too nice on Summer Wine.

I personally prefer him as Captain Peacock, as it just seems more like him. He seems too nice on Summer Wine.

I don't watch Are You Being Served, but Thornton seems like such a natural fit for the cool, calm, collective Truly of the Yard. Perhaps he mellowed out with age.

When I heard Frank Thornton was joining the cast, I assumed he would be playing his character the same as Captain Peacock, complete with moustache. This would have been more similar to the Foggy character he was replacing.

As it turned out, he created a very gentle and believable character, though playing it as Peacock would have worked too.

Thornton always played Peacock in AYBS brilliantly, even towards the end when the scripts got weaker.

I must admit I did not like Cpt Peacock at all.When Frank Thornton joined LOTSW I stopped watching.
It shows what a damned idiot I am.He was brilliant as Truly.

I must admit I did not like Cpt Peacock at all.When Frank Thornton joined LOTSW I stopped watching.
It shows what a damned idiot I am.He was brilliant as Truly.

Yeah, I recall Dick and Terry saying you were a damned idiot before now mate! I did fight your corner, but ultimately I agreed with the overwhelming evidence they put forward ;D

I thought Frank made both Capt. Peacock and Truly very believable characters. Even though Truly wasn't the whip-cracking taskmaster that Capt. Peacock was, he still had a slightly authoritative manner about him despite his even temperament. Truly had to fill that leadership role of the trio that Foggy and Seymour left behind, but in his own way of course.

Regarding Frank Thorton which role did you think suited hime best or did both roles give him credit? Captain Peacock or Truly of the yard?? To me it's very hard to choose because he is an amazing good actor..

Actually, I think that both roles equally suited him. However, I think that his time on AYBS might have provided a foundation for the Truly of the Yard role.

Back