The same, only different.......

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
As the series ran for so long and there is only a finite amount of new ideas Roy Clarke could come up with and there was understandably some episodes with very similar storylines to others.

I have just watched Who's That Talking To Lenny and thought it bore a striking resemblance to It All Began With An Old Volvo Headlamp. The barmpots played by Bobby Ball & Hywel Bennett respectively are dressed very similarly (dressing gown, sandals & staff) and to me are essentially the same character. This isn't a criticism in any way of the series and I still find them equally funny. There are plenty of other similar episodes with reoccurring themes.

But if you were name 2 episodes which are most alike which would you choose and why?

I guess when you think about it the main themes for each episode were typically the following or a combination thereof so repetition is inevitable;

Help Compo impress Nora
Assist a visiting barmpot
Test out Seymours/Wesleys new invention
Assist or rescue Howard with his assignations with Marina

have I missed any? :)

1. On Open All Hours, there is a piece of furniture, a cabinet in the kitchen. The same cabinet also appeared in Compo's living room.

2. In Clegg's first house, there are brief glimpses of a table with a plant on it in front of a window. It brings back memories of my childhood house in which there was a snake plant on a table in front of a window. Ditto for the candlesticks (sans candles) on the mantle.

3. In Keeping Up Appearances, Rose is a flirt with a reputation. And in LOTSW, there's Roz, always dressed in a rose pink, who speaks of her past where she was a flirt with a reputation.

I hope I have the correct episodes.
Barry's Christmas and A Leg Up for Christmas - with the hearse theme.
You can add Plenty of Room in The Back that list, find a hearse, add a drunk man in the back, watch the look of bewilderment on those that see the drunk moving about :p

The Suit That Turned Left
According to the Prophet Bickerdyke
Welcome to Earth

These episodes all have a similar theme with an eccentric person having a delusional belief, aided by a homemade invention or calculation. Compo and Cleggy ridicule the belief while Foggy takes on the possibility.

Each episode concludes in a field

The Suit That Turned Left
According to the Prophet Bickerdyke
Welcome to Earth

These episodes all have a similar theme with an eccentric person having a delusional belief, aided by a homemade invention or calculation. Compo and Cleggy ridicule the belief while Foggy takes on the possibility.

Each episode concludes in a field
You can also add Could The Nearest Alien Please Come In to that great observation, that also ends up in a field too!

Back