The White Horse PH

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Very disappointed, the pub is the other side of the valley to where I am staying, checked their website to check they are open for food, went over there last night only to told they were not serving meals on a Tuesday, after the Easter weekend they might be.
So went back to the fleece inn at Holme, cracking pub, excellent food and service and shall stick with that pub in future

Sign of the times Terry a lot of pubs don't serve food Monday/Tuesday even Wednesday or indeed even open because the clientele simply don't cross the doors in the volumes that make it economically viable to open . I see similar things in Newcastle City Centre so Jackson Bridge is not really that much of a shock . Wetherspoons seem to be the exception because their food is lower in price as are their drinks , they have the Monday Club where certain drinks are reduced even further so if you are a pub near them how the hell do you compete. In your average pub here up North main meals are about £12 to £20 so for two people that on average is £30 for food then drinks two pints and maybe two wines you could easily add another £15 to £20 to that so you are up at £50 to eat out for two [easily double that for a family of four] so you can see why people don't go out on a regular basis .

Very disappointed, the pub is the other side of the valley to where I am staying, checked their website to check they are open for food, went over there last night only to told they were not serving meals on a Tuesday, after the Easter weekend they might be.
So went back to the fleece inn at Holme, cracking pub, excellent food and service and shall stick with that pub in future
Wasn't the Fleece Inn in a episode once

In the US restaurant prices have constantly been on the rise. We never dine out anymore because in the US adding a tip is pretty much mandatory (on top of the inflated prices). We bring food home on occasion. I live in the Washington DC suburbs but I have to wait to visit family in small towns in Pennsylvania for reasonably priced dining.

Sign of the times Terry a lot of pubs don't serve food Monday/Tuesday even Wednesday or indeed even open because the clientele simply don't cross the doors in the volumes that make it economically viable to open . I see similar things in Newcastle City Centre so Jackson Bridge is not really that much of a shock . Wetherspoons seem to be the exception because their food is lower in price as are their drinks , they have the Monday Club where certain drinks are reduced even further so if you are a pub near them how the hell do you compete. In your average pub here up North main meals are about £12 to £20 so for two people that on average is £30 for food then drinks two pints and maybe two wines you could easily add another £15 to £20 to that so you are up at £50 to eat out for two [easily double that for a family of four] so you can see why people don't go out on a regular basis .
I have no issue with the pubs not serving food on weeknights, but when their own website states they do, that is just being lazy not updating the site, plus who ever the chap was behind the bar just mumbled they were not doing food and wandered off, so won't be going back again

In the US restaurant prices have constantly been on the rise. We never dine out anymore because in the US adding a tip is pretty much mandatory (on top of the inflated prices). We bring food home on occasion. I live in the Washington DC suburbs but I have to wait to visit family in small towns in Pennsylvania for reasonably priced dining.
You sure are right. I live in Maryland and it's getting crazy. I hope you're enjoying the trip overall Terry..

I understand that Chefs have a £35 p/hr pay agreement, so unless they can guarantee customers it just doesn't make any money.

You are right. I just had lunch (cup of soup, 1/2 sandwich and a cup of coffee) at a local's place on Cape Cod, came to $24 to settle up.

You are right. I just had lunch (cup of soup, 1/2 sandwich and a cup of coffee) at a local's place on Cape Cod, came to $24 to settle up.
Don't get me started on this subject :mad:

In London you cannot eat anywhere without a service charge being applied, it used to be 10% but many now add on 15% service charge. And to make matters worse they still have a space on the bill to add a 'gratuity' on top of the service charge'!!!!! This practice is finding its way to our local towns where it was never applied 5 years ago, it's currently around 5% - 10% but it's gradually increasing.

I do fully respect the fact that the culture is slightly different in the US, but in the UK my view is you tip great service at your discretion. Automatically added service charges don't sit comfortably with me, how on earth does it does it cost double the 'service' to deliver a £30 bottle of wine to a table than a £15 one!!???

Last edited:
When they apply a service charge I ask if the staff who have served me get the tip, if they don't get it then I ask the person who served me to take it off, pay the new bill by card and give a cash tip to the person who served me .

When they apply a service charge I ask if the staff who have served me get the tip, if they don't get it then I ask the person who served me to take it off, pay the new bill by card and give a cash tip to the person who served me .
It's actually a legal requirement now in the UK that these are distributed amongst the staff and not retained. Normal practice is they're shared evenly between the serving staff.

I suppose it is a way to keep wages to a minimum, so the staff need to hope the customers are happy to pay this service charge

Back