There Goes The Groom...

MST3Claye

Dedicated Member
Last of the Summer Wine was on the PBS channel here almost two years ago for a whole year and then they took it off last October. Since that fateful day, I have been watching episodes in sequential order that I haven't watch in between what I could find on the video sites. Last night I finally got to There Goes The Groom. Even though I've seen Truly during series 29 and 30, I got to see his introduction to the show. I loved it! It was much better than the introduction we got with Seymour. Something about Uncle of the Bride just didn't flow with me. Everything seemed to work well in There Goes the Groom. Sad to see Foggy go, but I can't wait to see more of the Truly episodes. I burst out laughing when Compo responded to one of the PC's comments in the station with "cheeky".. Just thought I'd share my viewing of the episode and what I thought compared to Seymour's introduction to the show.

I think the biggest problem with Uncle of the Bride was the fact that they didn't know Seymour, but in later episodes it was obvious they knew him from school. This aside I got to really like the film, and Seymour became a great favourite with me. Frank Thornton as Truly was a piece of casting genius. Apparently Brian Wilde recommended him but I'm not sure how true this is.
Rob

Truly was an absolutely magnificent addition to the show and he settled in right from the off. There Goes the Groom was one of the best Xmas specials and Truly looked like he had always been there. Replacing Foggy was big shoes to fill, but Frank Thornton has been marvelous.

Truly was a wonderful addition to the show and he slipped into the role as if it was taylor made. I loved the episode 'All Of A Florrie' playing opposite his real wife, Jean Mockford, the scene with Ken Kitson and Tony Capstick had me in stitches.

"I am the mysterious Mr X behind the global conspiracy, I DEMAND to be incarcerated"

:D

Truly was a wonderful addition to the show and he slipped into the role as if it was taylor made. I loved the episode 'All Of A Florrie' playing opposite his real wife, Jean Mockford, the scene with Ken Kitson and Tony Capstick had me in stitches.

"I am the mysterious Mr X behind the global conspiracy, I DEMAND to be incarcerated"

:D

Indeed, that was ace! I really liked that episode. I rate Truly as at least the 2nd best '3rd man' and at times has given Foggy a proper run for his money. An excellent character, excellently played.

His sarcastic undertones are priceless, especially when aimed at Howard, I don't think Truly is too keen.

The other episode I treasure is 'The Second Husband and the Showgirls'. The only thing about that episode is seeing the actor William Lucas and it makes me remember how old I am, LOL, I first remember him as Dr Gordon in Black Beauty, which caused me to have a huge crush on Judi Bowker :-[

Oh my word, while I just about remember reruns of Black Beauty, I was abit younger for primitive 'urges' at that time! Early 80's are my first memories of Summer Wine, as a kid, waiting on a Sunday evening for it to start. Series 6 was the first one that I properly saw which I think is why it's still my favourite or 2nd favourite series ever.

I was 16 when it first aired in 75, and was lucky enough to have my own TV in my bedroom. I would not go out for anything while that was on, and when I met my late wife she too was hooked, strange in some ways, we were both only 18, yet found it hilarious while everyone else was laughing to Not The 9 o'clock news and such.

So for me, it's always been there from the start, even now I watch it more than anything else I own on DVD, so maybe I am a little obsessed ;D

I'm just 38 so early 80's were my first introductions to it, but as I recall, the other kids that I knew also liked it, it was just one of those things you did in those days. There were 3 terrestrial channels and LOTSW was the highlight of Sunday night and you would talk about it at school the next day.
I remember being beside myself when Seymour replaced Foggy, tuning into the 1986 Xmas special (we had a video by then!) only to find that 'my' Foggy had gone, and in fact it took several years after that for me to even realise that there had been a Blamire before there was a Foggy! This disturbed me a bit I think aswell!
I'm pretty sure that 'In the service of Humanity' was the first episode I ever saw.

A wonderful introduction to the series - one of my favourite Foggy episodes.
I have to admit that I don't watch the Blamire episodes that much and I have no preference over Seymour or Foggy as I found them both as endearing in their own ways. I would have loved Seymour to have actually met Foggy and see him interfere in one of Seymour's inventions - wicked.

My favourite Seymour Episode is Downhill Racer and for Foggy there are far too may for me to be fair to the character. For some reason I love 'A Clean Sweep' and 'Deviations With Davenport' out of the recent series and cannot wait for their release on DVD.

Indeed, not only could I not have asked for a better introduction to the programme than series 6, I agree that it was a shame that Seymour didn't ever revisit the show, just to interact with Foggy, that would have been grand!

By the time I got to late teens time my interest in the show dwindled, as it does at that age, suddenly beer, women, football and University life become much more important to you plus the Xmas special of 1991 in my view was one of the poorest episodes ever filmed. I'd not been impressed with series 13 at all so I drifted away from Summer Wine for a few years and in actual fact, it has only been these last 5 years or so that I've had a proper renaissance and it had so much to catch up on.

There were very few series or even episodes that I watched contemporaneously so Ive had some amazing entertainment since, it was like discovering a 'new' old sitcom in many ways...like catching up with an old friend, realising you had so many shared memories but also that you had so much to find out.

Same for me, I think series 13 and 14 are 2 that I never really caught when first broadcast.

Well, I have to say BFN. 8)

Indeed, not only could I not have asked for a better introduction to the programme than series 6, I agree that it was a shame that Seymour didn't ever revisit the show, just to interact with Foggy, that would have been grand!

Yes that would have been a great episode: however it could be done in drawing form - forward Claye!

Yes, i agree that "there goes the groom" was a brilliant intro for Truly, the bit in the party when he looks under the table and says "yes, i thought he was here" cracks me up still....although i could be lying!

G ; )

I love the line between Truly and Clegg and Compo at the reception.

Compo "How long was tha married?"

Truly "Thirty Seven years"

Clegg "That's a long time, you must still miss each other"

Truly "Oh, we have missed each other, with half bricks, frying pans, empty bottles"

Still cracks me up.