top Roy Clarke Sitcom outside of LOTSW

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
This topic peaked my interest a few months ago when my Public Television Station added "Open All Hours". To my dismay, they took it off the air already. In the old forum I wrote about the similarities between Clarke's characters from various shows. Mr. Arkwright from Open All Hours reminds me of Auntie Wainwright (and not just because of the last name). All, a few months back when watching the rotation of the Seymour Years again I took note of similarities between Edie Pegden and Hyacinth Bucket (of course, not identical).

I am limited in viewing other shows from Clarke. I only ever saw a glimpse of First of the Summer Wine, so I am not the best to judge but here is my top three behind LOTSW. Despite Keeping Up Appearances being a really good show it is...

1. Open All Hours
2. Keeping Up Appearances
3. First pf the Summer Wine

I like Open All Hours so much I might eventually get all the CDs to it as well.

of the 3 I've seen
1.Open All Hours
2.Keeping Up Appearances
3.Aint Misbehavin'
Have got The Magnficent Evans on DVD but havent seen it yet

Open all hours, by a mile.
The origins of Keeping up appearances were marvellous, a really good idea for a sitcom, but it ran on for a couple of series too long

I thought Keeping Up Appearances was a good idea, but I find some of the performances to outrageous.

Outside of LOTSW, my top Roy Clarke sitcom is a joint tie - Open All Hours or Potter.

Why do they not repeat Potter or release it on DVD?

It's brilliant.

It's from the BBC, it's got Arthur Lowe in it, it's by Roy Clarke and it's very funny.

So why don't they release it?

Wife and I really like Open All Hours way better
than That Bucket Woman. Liked Evans OK.

Kinda collect FOTSW along with LOTSW as numero uno.

btw - got all the OAH, mostly off TheBox.bz.

Open All Hours - first by far - Roy Clarke is best, in my opinion, at the northern observation
Keeping Up Appearances - agree possibly could have been a few less
First of the Summer Wine

have never manged to see Potter - as neve repeated nor on DVD

Just downloaded the first episode of Potter from
TheBox.bz. Gonna watch it tonight to see if I want
to get the rest.

Open All Hours to me is a classic and I am also a big fan of Ronnie Barker.

I didn't mind Keeping Up Appearances, there are some funny episodes but Hyacinth as a character gets too overbearing and annoying on times.

First of the Summerwine has never been a huge favourite of mine, but I am getting to like it more.

Open All Hours by a country mile. I never tire of watching the DVDs, favourite episode has to be the one where Arkwright is selling Jamaican Ginger cake. The scene between Cyril and himself has me in tears of laughter.

Open All Hours by a country mile. I never tire of watching the DVDs, favourite episode has to be the one where Arkwright is selling Jamaican Ginger cake. The scene between Cyril and himself has me in tears of laughter.

Spot on Stew

At the opposite end,I'd say Roy's worst was the Tony Britton series Don't Tell Father,didnt think it was up to Roy or Tony's usual standards

At the opposite end,I'd say Roy's worst was the Tony Britton series Don't Tell Father,didnt think it was up to Roy or Tony's usual standards

I;ve never seen that mate, but after that abomination Tony was in called 'Dont wait up', I think I will swerve it.

just found out Roy wrote Oh No Its Selwyn Froggitt didnt know that,must be reason Lynda Baron came to be in Open All Hours

Back