Truly

minxie

Dedicated Member
Can anyone tell me which episode Truly first appears, I don't think I have ever seen it.

How is he introduced, I expect all you experts out there know, I really like the ones with Truly in

thanks

minxie

There Goes The Groom

At a party where Foggy is taken out legless and
is taken away by the mail lady.

Truly was an excellent addition to the cast and helped breathe new life into the show.

Truly was an excellent addition to the cast and helped breathe new life into the show.

Quite right.

The 'third man' has changed many times, and it's always sad to see a character go. However, the replacements have always been excellent. And as you say, it refreshes the show. I think as long as Compo and particularly Clegg are present then it is definitely worth watching.

One has to wonder how the show would have gone if Frank Thornton was chosen to play Blamire (or Truly) back in 1972...

Quite right.

The 'third man' has changed many times, and it's always sad to see a character go. However, the replacements have always been excellent. And as you say, it refreshes the show. I think as long as Compo and particularly Clegg are present then it is definitely worth watching.

One has to wonder how the show would have gone if Frank Thornton was chosen to play Blamire (or Truly) back in 1972...

Yes indeed mate and a very good question. I hadnt pondered it from that angle before, I suppose Frank could have been an original Third Man, but its hard to picture anyone else but Michael Bates in the role now. It was sublime casting in the first place and went on throughout its running time. Even Russ Abbott was a good choice and I have real sympathy for him in that he came to the fray whenh it was in its death throes and had to work in a main 3 which consisted of Alvin and Entwistle, who, and lets be fair to them, were no more than support characters really. Every other 3rd man came into an established format with Cleggy and Compo there to ese them in, whereas Hobbo got a real poor deal and I think Russ did as well as he possibly could given the circumstances.

I thought Russ Abbot played his character well. I liked his character more than Alvin and Entwistle to be honest.

Apart from being a bit similar to Foggy, the main problem with Hobbo was he had a very poor introduction. There was no decent storyline behind him being in the show. At exactly the same time as his debut was the 'promotion' of Entwistle in the Clegg role.

Back to Truly though, he had all the characteristics of all the previous third men, and beautifully underplayed the part which made his character believable.

Quite right.

Even Russ Abbott was a good choice and I have real sympathy for him in that he came to the fray whenh it was in its death throes and had to work in a main 3 which consisted of Alvin and Entwistle, who, and lets be fair to them, were no more than support characters really. Every other 3rd man came into an established format with Cleggy and Compo there to ese them in, whereas Hobbo got a real poor deal and I think Russ did as well as he possibly could given the circumstances.

First of all, I love Truly as well. Comments were made in the previous forum how Truly was such a great character because Frank Thornton didn't overact it.

In response to the Hobbo years...... I as many others were hard on him in the old forum. The last two years were aggravating for me, largely because of Entwhistle's role. I loved Entwhistle from his beginning until 2008. But in the last two seasons, it seemed as all he did was follow Hobbo and give silly facial expressions. I believe Burt Kwouk could have still done a marvelous job. Was it the writing? Was it the production? I just think extreme cut backs in the roles of Clegg AND Truly were too much for the show to overcome at once.

Oh really now. Think on it. Think about Of Funerals
and Fish. Imagine, if you will, anybody else as the
third man. Only Blamire and his landlady's pup could
play that part. Not Foggy, not Truly, and certainly not
that abbot guy.

Can you really imagine anyone but Michael Bates in
the pilot?????

Series 19 and 20 by Playback are on DVD, This features 'There Goes The Groom'. I agree, Truly is a great edition, but I tire of hearing him mention 'The Former Mrs Truelove', but apart from that a great addition.

One thing that is Truly amazing is that Frank Thornton, slightly slimmer and with a mustache does a great Captain Peacock. Then just a few years later, he shows up as Truly, slightly heavier and no mustache and it's not a revised Captain Peacock, but a whole new character. The only time that you get a Captain Peacock echo is when he basically speaks a standard Captain Peacock line, "Try to attract his attention" when doing a scene in a pub.

Quite right.

Seeing as how Frank was occupied with Are You Being Served at the time, it's just as well that things worked out the way they did.

Quite right.

Yea but, he couldn't have played Captain Peacock on AYBS. And what would have AYBS been without Frank Thornton as Captain Peacock??

Back