Wally and Sid

Foggy Dewhurst

Dedicated Member
Hi Guys and Girls

I have been wondering. Was there any actual recognition of the deaths of Wally and Sid in an episode? Or was it simply left to assumption at the time and mentioned in later episodes? I cannot recall personally. I think if there was no mention or recognition that would have been a great shame.

I remember both Nora and Ivy remembering their husbands in later episodes
but not when they actually , supposedly died.

I can't recall any special episodes or particular passages concerning the passing of the characters. Only Compo. I think it was as loswsla1 said there, just the ladies talking about them later on.

I can't recall any special episodes or particular passages concerning the passing of the characters. Only Compo. I think it was as loswsla1 said there, just the ladies talking about them later on.

Quite correct - same for Wesley.

Did one of the christmas episodes feature both Norah and Ivy looking at their respective husbands photographs??

Uncle of the Bride made it clear Sid had died, with a short, nicely written scene, with Ivy and Nora.

Simarly, Crums made it clear Wally had died, and a photograph was also shown.

In later episodes the dead husbands were referred to, usually in coffee morning scenes. Compo would often refer to Wally when recalling he promised Nora to him.

A photograph of Sid was seen when Ivy is preparing for Compo's funeral in the final trilogy episode.

Uncle of the Bride made it clear Sid had died, with a short, nicely written scene, with Ivy and Nora.

Simarly, Crums made it clear Wally had died, and a photograph was also shown.

In later episodes the dead husbands were referred to, usually in coffee morning scenes. Compo would often refer to Wally when recalling he promised Nora to him.

A photograph of Sid was seen when Ivy is preparing for Compo's funeral in the final trilogy episode.

yes, that is the definitive answer. But if we look at the original question:

Hi Guys and Girls

I have been wondering. Was there any actual recognition of the deaths of Wally and Sid in an episode? Or was it simply left to assumption at the time and mentioned in later episodes? I cannot recall personally. I think if there was no mention or recognition that would have been a great shame.

The answer is that it was simply left as an assumption at the time and mentioned in later episodes. In boith cases there was a whole series between their actual last episodes and the episode where they got a mention. Mind, that was not a problem to me. I for one would not have wanted to see several funeral episodes.

When Wesley died there was no mention in Radio Times it was only a letter to RT that the facts came out.

Just watched a Truly episode "Support Your Local
Skydiver." It begins with the mail lady (same
one that took Foggy away???) with a postcard from
the Canary Islands for Nora ... from a GLADWYN!!!

These little memorials creep in all over the place.

Just watched a Truly episode "Support Your Local
Skydiver." It begins with the mail lady (same
one that took Foggy away???) with a postcard from
the Canary Islands for Nora ... from a GLADWYN!!!

These little memorials creep in all over the place.

I also was watching the same episode this morning and though the same thing about the post lady, although not sure if she is the same one, the voice sounds different, although the one who does a runner with Foggy seems to be trying a bit too hard with the Yorkshire accent, so it could well be her.
Maybe the cast listings that George posted will say, i shall go and check.

Yep, same actress, according to George's excellent list, it reads as:
Kempner Brenda 2 Post Lady There Goes The Groom (1997)
“ Support Your Local Skydiver (1998)

G ; )

Rubbish bit of continuity, that.

Both episodes were made around the same time, though there was uncertainty about Brian Wilde making an appearance if he was well enough.

Rubbish continuity - have to tell myself that the relationship didn't work - and the postlady returned.

Rubbish bit of continuity, that.

Both episodes were made around the same time, though there was uncertainty about Brian Wilde making an appearance if he was well enough.

Rubbish continuity - have to tell myself that the relationship didn't work - and the postlady returned.

Maybe she realised he wasn't a 1st class male (sorry :))

I like to think he escaped and went into hiding using all his training and every bit of natural cover to evade recapture :D

Back