Warm, Sentimental Moments

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
Other than Barry and Glenda, the couples on Summer Wine are often miserable. It is part of the comedy. However, as we fall in love with the characters we can have a special enjoyment from the rare moments where characters show affection for the other.

A few examples come to mind.

1. How Not to Cry at Weddings- when Ivy takes out the picture of Sid and smiles
2. the last surviving maurice chevalier impression- when as the locals are so proud of Compo being on TV, including Nora, then Compo's performance begins with a close up of Nora's photo.
3. The are various moments like this in the brilliant trilogy of episodes honoring Compo's passing.

The fourth moment is what motivated me to write this topic. I had the pleasure in recently viewing one of my favorite 90's episodes, There Are Gypsies At the Bottom of Our Garden. At the end of the show the whole group is in the fields. Pearl is chasing Howard and Compo is thrilled that Nora cares about him, but then there was a very special moment at the end. Throughout all the chaos the camera views in on Edie as she looks toward the bus. There is Wesley sitting there with the warmest smile towards her.

I am supposed to be a macho guy but I couldn't help but to feel so warm inside when seeing this. It was just so well done and unexpected. The significant thing about this moment, correct me if I am wrong, but this is the only time they appear warm and loving to each other.

What other, rare warm sentimental moments can you think of? What am I missing?

In crums Nora looks at Wallys photo above the fireplace and smiles warmly at it as it is the first christmas without him.Nora may have been horrible to Wally but you could see in that scene that she did love hin really.You are right about the passing trilogy still gets to me everytime i watch :)

You really need to see Situations Vacant, the scene at the end will bring tears to your eyes.

In EDIE AND THE AUTOMOBILE ,Norah has been looking for Wally and comes back to find him sat on the steps with the whippet.She looks towards him ,gives a warm smile and then gives him what for!! "You needn't think anyone missed you!!"

In EDIE AND THE AUTOMOBILE ,Norah has been looking for Wally and comes back to find him sat on the steps with the whippet.She looks towards him ,gives a warm smile and then gives him what for!! "You needn't think anyone missed you!!"

I am conscious that one often gets this apparent mis-match between words and affections in real life as well - or does that come from living in Yorkshire so long .....

1. How Not to Cry at Weddings- when Ivy takes out the picture of Sid and smiles

that scene was in "just a small funeral" but it wud have been nice 2 have tht in "how not to cry at weddings"

Thanks for the correction. I don't know how I missed that one. That scene combined with the preparing for Compo's funeral could bring tears to my eyes.

In crums Nora looks at Wallys photo above the fireplace and smiles warmly at it as it is the first christmas without him.Nora may have been horrible to Wally but you could see in that scene that she did love hin really.You are right about the passing trilogy still gets to me everytime i watch :)

You really need to see Situations Vacant, the scene at the end will bring tears to your eyes.

Crums and Situations Vacant are ones that I haven't seen for a while, or missed entirely. Despite watching most of the show in almost three full rotations at this point, some episodes I keep missing by accident.

The scene at the end of "Getting Sam Home" with Sybil and Lily Blessher was a similar moment of warmth through frosted feelings. One of the great things about Summer wine IMO is that you get these Human touches and in some cases touches that are missing from society of late that would be a damn sight better still there.

The scene at the end of "Getting Sam Home" with Sybil and Lily Blessher was a similar moment of warmth through frosted feelings. One of the great things about Summer wine IMO is that you get these Human touches and in some cases touches that are missing from society of late that would be a damn sight better still there.

I never seen this one before since they don't air the specials in the US. I am very curious about this episode after reading some posts. I am under the impression that this is more of a drama than a comedy.

Interesting call, Dick. I believe that scene was brilliantly done because you could really sense the relief of Nora when she finds Wally. However, I would personally disqualify this moment as warm and sentimental after Nora's immediate, harsh words.

When Clegg and Truly come out of Cleggs house for Compos funeral, and Pearl ignores everyone and everything else and goes straight to Clegg, pauses for just a second, then says ' are you alright?' with real kindness in her voice. Then she takes his arm and walks with him up the lane.
I don't know how they filmed these episodes. It must have been heartbreaking.

When Clegg and Truly come out of Cleggs house for Compos funeral, and Pearl ignores everyone and everything else and goes straight to Clegg, pauses for just a second, then says ' are you alright?' with real kindness in her voice. Then she takes his arm and walks with him up the lane.
I don't know how they filmed these episodes. It must have been heartbreaking.

That scene gets me every time too. Possibly filming all this was difficult, but therapeutic in a way, perhaps it even helped them to get over it.

Another warm moment is in " Getting Barry Higher in The World " where Cleggy feeds something to the horse while talking to it :)

Another warm moment is in " Getting Barry Higher in The World " where Cleggy feeds something to the horse while talking to it :)

Yes, I had forgotten about this one, I think that wasn´t acting, that was real ;), I mean, the way he talked to the horse.

Yes, I had forgotten about this one, I think that wasn´t acting, that was real ;), I mean, the way he talked to the horse.
You are right **** it did seem as though Peter was fond of horses :)

You are right **** it did seem as though Peter was fond of horses :)
It comes as no surprise, I have seen Peter chatting to any sort of animal :D, birds, dogs, whatever came past, so in that respect Clegg = Peter.

I'm reminded of Foggy and his love interest in "Who Made A Bit Of A Splash In Wales Then?". Perhaps it was all a bit more flirtatious than heartfelt, but maybe that's the best we'll get from Foggy!

I never seen this one before since they don't air the specials in the US. I am very curious about this episode after reading some posts. I am under the impression that this is more of a drama than a comedy.

Interesting call, Dick. I believe that scene was brilliantly done because you could really sense the relief of Nora when she finds Wally. However, I would personally disqualify this moment as warm and sentimental after Nora's immediate, harsh words.

Getting Sam home was a special, I am sure it can be found on Youtube. It has more of a film kind of feel to it but all the humor is still there, worth a watch for sure.

Just about every scene in Getting Sam Home had 'warm, sentimental moments'. That's why it was so successful, I think.

There were a few scenes where Nora and Ivy talked about their late husbands.

Funeral episodes and feature length specials were often full of sentiment too, as were the episodes where Blamire and Seymour left.

Just about every scene in Getting Sam Home had 'warm, sentimental moments'. That's why it was so successful, I think.

There were a few scenes where Nora and Ivy talked about their late husbands.

Funeral episodes and feature length specials were often full of sentiment too, as were the episodes where Blamire and Seymour left.

I don't recall any sentimental moments when Seymour or Blamire left.

And of course, a lot of comments are for the Funeral Episodes. The one moment that sticks out to me is when Pearl says something like "Chin Up" to Clegg but I don't recall her taking him by the hand. I always look to Summer Wine as an outlet purely for comedy. Therefor, I am not always up for the funeral episodes. This is even when I recognize them as excellent. The last time they aired I purposely detached my emotions from the show ahead of time, because I wasn't up for anything teary eyed. However, the next time I will prepare myself to get fully involved with them, catch every detail, and shed some mourning and grief. My station is currently airing the 1994 episodes so I know those episodes are coming around soon.

Back