What are the real details of Brian Wilde's second departure from the show?

Sarkus

Dedicated Member
I'm pretty fascinated by the "behind the scenes" stuff about the show but there are some details that seem shrouded in mystery. I've read a couple of LOTSW books, most recently Alan Bell's, and the details of how and why Wilde left the second time are vague and inconsistent.

The standard story I've heard is this:

1. Brian Wilde contacted Bell and the BBC prior to the filming of Series 19 to let them know he had a health issue that would keep him from filming on location for the full normal time frame. It was agreed that Wilde would come back for the second half of the filming schedule and that Frank Thornton would be introduced as a new "third man" for the first half of the season. In that second half of the filming Wilde would be included in the Christmas Special that would air before the regular series and explain his abscence. Reports credit Wilde with suggesting that Thornton would be a good substitute.

2. As some point prior to the second half filming, Wilde informed the show that he still was not able to return. So Thornton remained for the full series. There is at least one episode (IIRC) where it looks like they had to do a very hasty re-write to substitute Truly for Foggy, as Truly uses some Foggy-esque dialogue. At this time Wilde was still supposed to come back to film the Christmas Special and continue on the following series.

3. Wilde did not end up filming the Christmas Special, supposedly due to "scheduling issues." That excuse has never made any sense to me. And "There Goes the Groom" has always struck me as a last minute re-write episode as well. I don't think under normal circumstances they would have done it the way they did, using a body double and explaining that Foggy (entirely out of character) was passed-out drunk. So this suggests to me that Wilde bailed on that at the last minute as well.

So I've always thought the standard explanation of Wilde's departure was off. And Bell's book suggests it was as well. He gives Wilde no credit for Frank Thornton being brought in, and says that Wilde made no real committment to do the full season, but did reluctantly agree to try and come back for the second half. Bell then makes the odd comment that it would have been "expensive" and "impractical" to have Thornton and Wilde both appear in the Christmas Special that would introduce Truly. Finally, he says that Wilde, after several years of being a team player, was suddenly making non-financial contractual demands that were not reasonable and that thus Bell decided to let him go, but gives no timeframe for any of this. But this explanation for Wilde's departure seems to have issues as well.

I just wondered if anyone has heard any other accounts. The 30th anniversary show is very complimentary towards Wilde, saying he was welcome to return at any time, but Bell's account seems to bring that into question. And if the departure was on poor terms, that would explain why Foggy didn't come back for Compo's death.

Wilde was a difficult person to deal with he didn't get on with Bill and Peter kept out of it,also he sacked his agent and decided to deal with money himself .Frequently he decided that he was finishing but carried on ,a shame because I liked him and his character he was a good actor but like many believed his own publicity.I think he gave Bell problems as he did not approve of his methods and tried to cause problems .But overall things did work out and he proved how much a pro he was I missed him when he finaly left and it was a shame he had shingles and that stopped him returning.I have a picture of Compo Clegg and Foggy that I bought on the day that Brian died I was in York so at least I was in the right county.

Back