What's your favourite episode?

Discussion in 'Members Question Time' started by Ch74, Sep 22, 2016.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. William Egan

William Egan New Member

Tough question!
    I love 'Getting Sam Home' so probably that. I think the Scarborough two-parter, 'The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty' and 'The Changing Face of Rural Blamire' are right up there as well.

2. Maggie Jones

Maggie Jones Well-Known Member

I can't pick a favourite because as I said previously I keep changing my mind. But I've started to realise that a long running series like LOTSW provides younger people with a view on how we lived here 40 years ago and a reminder to older people of how things were. It's like a social commentary on how Britain has changed. An example came to me this week watching an early episode on Drama. The cafe looks so 'basic' like many were and there's a machine on the wall selling something I can't quite make out. But it reminded me of the chewing gum and cigarette machines you'd often find in cafes.
    That's just a small example. I'm sure there's 100s if we look carefully. Sid's fish and chip van is another example. We had one around here. Anybody else think of more?

Electrical Entwistle likes this.
  3. dick

dick Well-Known Member

Seen and noted Captain! Wonder if we can spot anymore??:confused:

4. captain clutterbuck

captain clutterbuck Well-Known Member

Whilst I enjoy the episode it isn't my favourite but wanted to check if anyone else noticed the gag in Happy Birthday Robin Hood .I have to say I have seen the episode several times but never spotted it until today . When Truly , Billy and Howard go to Aunties to return the "Adventure Kit" I spotted that the Gorilla from " The Man who invented Yorkshire Funny Stuff " in one corner of the Shop with a for sale one careful owner sign around its neck .

I wonder if the gag came from the pen of Roy Clarke or its one of the prop people just having a laugh [ of course the episode features one of Ronnie Hazelhurst's incidental music gags. When Billy and Howard carry the box out of the shop he plays a bit of Right said Fred by Bernard Cribbins which is just brilliant]

dick likes this.
  5. Two of my favorites are 'The Most Powerful Eyeballs in West Yorkshire' (Foggy hypnotises himself) and 'Ironing Day' (I'd like to try some of Auntie Wainwright's special wine!)

RickAns and Maggie Jones like this.
  6. Adanor

Adanor Well-Known Member

If you move the time period back to between WWI and WWII, women were not expected to work (upon getting married), and there were probably one or more wives who were quietly (or not so quietly) anxious about their husband when he was slightly late or otherwise absent -- since they knew that if the marriage fell apart they would be up the creek without a paddle. So I'm sure that the public hand wringing occurred.

7. Maggie Jones

I can't choose a favourite episode as I keep changing my mind about it! I've got favourite incidents from episodes but I must admit that I found Glenda and Barry's plots and attitudes got sillier as the series progressed. Glenda was frequently crying over Barry's alleged affairs /disappearances etc and I found/find that her character is completely out of touch with women of around her age. Also the fact that she didn't need to or want to work is unusual for women of our generation
    I can't think that she is representative of our generation whereas the older women were probably more representative of their generation. I'd far prefer Howard and Pearl's input - far funnier and dynamic.

Electrical Entwistle likes this.
  8. Electrical Entwistle

Electrical Entwistle Well-Known Member

Hard to choose just one. The episode with Howard's New Van was a classic, but so were many others, like the Christmas Special with Compo dancing on the roof. :)

Maggie Jones likes this.
  9. amos hames

amos hames Well-Known Member

When you take a good bite. Yorkshire tastes terrible . A fine episode from the Seymour era which my favourite clegg plays a great lead role. And the Bandit from Stoke On Trent for the obvious reason hence my username

10. Andrew D

Andrew D Well-Known Member

Regarding Barry and Glenda, I think their unusual (for the depicted culture) relationship helped to all-the-more emphasize and contrast the particulars of the BattleAxe women. The contrast in the ladies' discussions of marriage etc showing how they did not understand nor agree despite their close bonds of friendship made it all the more comical, and gave the audience something stronger to anchor to in identifying ourselves with it.

dick likes this.
  11. captain clutterbuck

captain clutterbuck Well-Known Member

I simply could not pick a favourite . I agree to an extent about Barrie and Glenda, I suppose in the context of the other couples and the way the ladies trained their men to be obedient and totally under control , Barrie and Glenda's relationship offered a contrast to that traditional view and initially represented " the new way". However, Roy Clarke never took it far enough away from the old " Husband works as the breadwinner Wife doesn't work and looks after the family home " which is as you say Maggie dates it terribly when you look at modern life .

I suppose when Ivy, Nora , Edie and Pearl took every opportunity to sow the seeds of doubt in Glenda's mind that what Barrie did or what Glenda allowed him to do would only lead to him being involved with another woman would make Glenda insecure . I suppose Roy Clarke was effectively trying to show that the older ladies were saying it is their way or no way in the context of marriage and they railed against the change that Glenda and Barrie represented.

Electrical Entwistle and dick like this.
  12. Maggie Jones

I agree with Andrew D about picking a favourite episode. I keep changing my mind after viewing some more episodes.

I have to admit a soft spot for Truly as he differed from Foggy and Seymour in that he had a more 'wicked' sense of humour to the other two. He loved setting Howard up and I did enjoy his antics, but that's not to say I didn't enjoy the other two. I think all the characters brought something to the series but I have to say I thought Barry and Glenda's character's got a bit silly for my liking with Glenda 'over-worried' about Barry. Their characters seemed to be weak in comparison to the older generation and a little dated as Glenda never appeared to work - unusual for a woman of her generation and too much time on her hands to worry about Barry all the time. But perhaps you"ll see it differently to me.

RickAns likes this.
  13. Andrew D

Andrew D Well-Known Member

Know what, there are so many WONDERFUL episodes, I don't think I can narrow it down to even ten. In fact, even twenty would be tough.

14. amos hames

amos hames Well-Known Member

When you take a good bite Yorkshire tastes terrible

15. simonite

simonite Well-Known Member

I am with Marianna on this of Funerals and Fish :cool:

16. BruceC

BruceC Active Member

Agree...
    I've got many years of episodes left to watch though!

17. barmpot

barmpot Well-Known Member

Full Steam Behind as filmed very near to where I live and Crums - because I am a CRUM, third place an episode somewhere between nos 1 - 295

Maggie Jones likes this.
  18. barmpot

barmpot Well-Known Member

Totally agree

RickAns likes this.
  19. cciaffone

cciaffone Well-Known Member

again ... Full Steam Behind

Maggie Jones likes this.
  20. Marianna

Marianna Well-Known Member

Mine is the pilot, Of Funerals and Fish.

simonite likes this.