Why is Getting Sam Home so different?

bigcat

As I'm rolling along in my viewing, I suddenly got to this film and was in for a surprise. I had mostly forgotten it and how different everyone acted in it. It's not that it is a bad film, it is just rather like driving along on your six wheeled bicycle and suddenly coming to a big curve in the road. Everything about the film seems unexpected from the darker and stronger plot to the characters seeming somewhat like they had suffered a mild personality concussion and some characters barely featured at all.

That said there are some fun comedy moments even if the tone is darker than usual. Something of Weekend at Bernie's a long time before that was made.

I love this film, it is different and I think it has a lot to do the fact theres no laughter in it. I like dark comedies so this fits in very nicely with my dark, dry sence of humor.

Yes it's definitely 'different' it's more a black comedy. Personally I'm not a fan of the episode but I'm in a minority as most members of this site love it. The BBC have re released this in December in full HD and I have to say I enjoyed it a little more.
HD always helps! I'm sort of neutral on the movie oddly. It feels interesting but out of continuity somehow like one of those sidebooks series authors sometimes write.

I love this film, it is different and I think it has a lot to do the fact theres no laughter in it. I like dark comedies so this fits in very nicely with my dark, dry sence of humor.
I'm not huge on dark comedies which does limit my enjoyment, though there were definitely some funny bits.

80s film, John Cusack

It really needs to be watched from start to finish but here is a small snippet. Lovelorn Lane can't seem to pull off suicide. It's lighter (teen angst comedy) than the premise sounds and ends on a high note. Thematically, I don't think this movie could be made today.

Ah thank you. I wasn't quite sure if it was an episode I missed or an entirely different movie type entertainment.

As I'm rolling along in my viewing, I suddenly got to this film and was in for a surprise. I had mostly forgotten it and how different everyone acted in it. It's not that it is a bad film, it is just rather like driving along on your six wheeled bicycle and suddenly coming to a big curve in the road. Everything about the film seems unexpected from the darker and stronger plot to the characters seeming somewhat like they had suffered a mild personality concussion and some characters barely featured at all.

That said there are some fun comedy moments even if the tone is darker than usual. Something of Weekend at Bernie's a long time before that was made.
It was written as a novel from nearly 10 years before, with Blamire instead of Foggy. The book was written with very earthy dialogue and conversation, and despite that, the film is considerably cleaner than the book.

For some reason, the book used different 'language' to even the gritty Series One and Two, presumably Roy Clarke felt the book should be realistic rather than a sitcom.

Read the book (some copies have simply changed the word Blamire to Foggy), and you'll be even more horrified and surprised.

Getting Sam Home is a little like Marmite, you either like or dislike it, I am happy to watch it but my wife does not enjoy it, so it does not get watched very often

Do you like the League of Gentlemen Pearl, now that is a very dark comedy - particularly the Christmas special!!!

Thanks wstol. I've never been 'privileged' to taste that!
You see over here we're not really divided by race, religion, politics or class its if you like marmite or not! It's a dark yeast extract that you either really hate or really love. You spread it on bread or toast and do believe one or two heathens spread it on crumpets hence the marmite term you either love it or hate it.

Back