Woodov.... or maybe wooodav.. no!

gothic

Administrator
Staff member
I am being very picky here, and will probably get severe flea-in-the-ear syndrome! BUT.....
I see so many people using the term "would of" instead of "would have".

I can understand to a degree because they hear the result of the shortened phrase which is spelt "would've" which, when spoken sounds like "would of" BUT IT IS NOT WRITTEN LIKE THAT!!!!!!
Either use "Would have" OR "would've"
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Maybe that could be part of where you're from? I know here in Maryland, we tend to run things together, kinda like Jeff Foxworthy did in his, you might be a redneck if routine. Many people here say Warshington, instead of Washington and water is wooder, etc. If you ever visit here, you might want to skip this region, lol!

On a similar note I have a very close friend, whom I have known for many decades who drives me to despair!
He obviously went to a very poor, terrible school because he was only taught the 25 letter alphabet. He has absolutely no idea about the letter "T".
wanna (Want to) le'er (letter) bi' (bite) wa'er (water)....... you get the idea. He now does it just to wind me up, he knows when to stop though, when I'm about to throw him through the window he stops.

p.s. I really think I should get a life :02:

Maybe that could be part of where you're from? I know here in Maryland, we tend to run things together, kinda like Jeff Foxworthy did in his, you might be a redneck if routine. Many people here say Warshington, instead of Washington and water is wooder, etc. If you ever visit here, you might want to skip this region, lol!

Yep, that's the Warshington accent! When my sister first saw the word, "Washington" written, she asked, "So where is the R?"

Sometimes people write the way they speak. My family have Geordie accents and some write things like. Ret = right. A never did = I never did. A nar = I know. If anyone didn't know how they spoke they'd clueless as to what they were saying.

Well as a Geordie I have now accepted that I will never take part on Countdown because Geordie's only have one Vowel in their vocabulary and that is of course is E so in your example right is Reet , I never did E never deed , I know Ener . Having said that every Geordie's early name does have surprisingly seem to have the letter "O" in it because when attracting someone's attention you normally refer to them by the name "How Yee!!!"

E is very prominent in the Geordie language, anything word could have an unexpected E. If I'd have said My mam instead of Me mam she'd have thought I was talking French. Me friends were baffled by her screaming down the street at me, don't come back here with a load of Ket and ya can get them clarts off ya shoe before you come back in here! It's a whole different language. I'll never forget my husband having car trouble while we were visiting my uncle, bless him was trying to help by he could understand a word he said so Uncle Bob asked me if he was alright because he had a puzzled look on his face, I yes he just thinks you're talk Norwegian so he started talking him very slowly, it was hilarious.

On a similar note I have a very close friend, whom I have known for many decades who drives me to despair!
He obviously went to a very poor, terrible school because he was only taught the 25 letter alphabet. He has absolutely no idea about the letter "T".
wanna (Want to) le'er (letter) bi' (bite) wa'er (water)....... you get the idea. He now does it just to wind me up, he knows when to stop though, when I'm about to throw him through the window he stops.

p.s. I really think I should get a life :02:
The infamous glottal stop!

E is very prominent in the Geordie language, anything word could have an unexpected E. If I'd have said My mam instead of Me mam she'd have thought I was talking French. Me friends were baffled by her screaming down the street at me, don't come back here with a load of Ket and ya can get them clarts off ya shoe before you come back in here! It's a whole different language. I'll never forget my husband having car trouble while we were visiting my uncle, bless him was trying to help by he could understand a word he said so Uncle Bob asked me if he was alright because he had a puzzled look on his face, I yes he just thinks you're talk Norwegian so he started talking him very slowly, it was hilarious.

Go 30 or so miles north of Newcastle and its different again they roll their "R's" [Oh Matron!] and even I struggle with that ,once asked someone for directions in Bedlington, gave up and just winged it.

The first time I visited Nuneaton, North Warwickshire (one of my ancestral homes), I was warned by a friend from Lancashire that the Nuneaton accent was impenetrable. I didn't find it so at all, even though I was interacting almost entirely with people who were from that area. I'm sure no trace of the accent remained in the family by the 1950s, as the ancestors migrated from there to Charlestown, in eastern Massachusetts, in 1637.

Back