Musical references to other comedies

WellyMan

Dedicated Member
I noticed an episode recently (on Drama) that played a short section of Laurel & Hardy music. Have there been other musical references to previous comedies in SW?

BTW, one similarity to L&H is the basic innocence of the SW world, and that's perhaps part of the reason why I'm becoming more of a fan of it.

You will find all sorts of references to other shows and films played as incidental vignettes of music to fit what you are seeing. Ronnie Hazelhurst is a master of incidental music and it has not gone unnoticed as you will see if you search the threads :)

OK, this is the one at Seymour's house where they have that bicycle that also drills and they drill into a pipe that spews out something, maybe oil. And Ronnie wrote this bit of music that brought to mind -- Dallas. Well, they got a letter from the producers of Dallas that accused them of using the Dallas theme. He did not do that!! He just rewrote the LOTSW theme music to EMULATE Dallas.

Many many times Including Doctor Kildare, Z Cars,The Great Escape, the Sound of Music, Singing in the Rain and many more that I cannot recall at the moment

OK, this is the one at Seymour's house where they have that bicycle that also drills and they drill into a pipe that spews out something, maybe oil. And Ronnie wrote this bit of music that brought to mind -- Dallas. Well, they got a letter from the producers of Dallas that accused them of using the Dallas theme. He did not do that!! He just rewrote the LOTSW theme music to EMULATE Dallas.

During an interview for the 25th and 30th Anniversary documentaries, Ronnie said that sometimes Alan Bell would ask him to rewrite the Summer Wine theme tune in various ways to fit certain scenes and situations. The Dallas version was the example Ronnie used, together with a clip of the actual scene.

Last edited:
@Inky Batty Which episode for the Manor Born one? Can you describe the scene and what is going on? I like that show and characters in it. Having trouble envisioning the connection between the two shows that they have made.

@Inky Batty Which episode for the Manor Born one? Can you describe the scene and what is going on? I like that show and characters in it. Having trouble envisioning the connection between the two shows that they have made.
Leave it with me, I need to think about that one Rick. I can't recall which episode off the top of my head. It will come to me. Roger may well know. It's only a few seconds burst of the theme tune.

Thanks, Inky. Don't think I ever would have made that connection without someone pointing it out.

Read a book a little while ago that mentioned this Dallas issue. I think they wanted to sue.

Back