75 years of BBC TV - 37 years of Summer Wine

barmpot

LOTSW Fanatic
I have just noticed that it is 75 years since the BBC started broadcasting TV in 1936.

Given that there was a 5 year break during the war, this means that for over half of its broadcasting history one programme - Summer Wine - has been on the screen.

All right, I know that the Sky at Night has been on even longer and so has Panorama - but will SW get a mention?

I very much doubt it. ??? :eek: ::) :(

I have just noticed that it is 75 years since the BBC started broadcasting TV in 1936.

Given that there was a 5 year break during the war, this means that for over half of its broadcasting history one programme - Summer Wine - has been on the screen.

All right, I know that the Sky at Night has been on even longer and so has Panorama - but will SW get a mention?

I very much doubt it. ??? :eek: ::) :(

Interesting subject Rod,if you think back to the 60's/70s/80s there were other great comedies on the BBC, there seemed to be some great talent with the writers along with the cast involved,they are that good that we are still watching them today,I cannot see any of the current offerings being around for any length of time,so the BBC will still have to depend on the old stuff to keep UK Gold going

Back