A Country Companion

happyjack

Dedicated Member
While I have been sitting around for the past 5 weeks with my broken leg I have taken the opportunity to get out my LOTSW books I have not read for a long time and one called " A Country Companion " is I think a must for any Summer Wino to have in their collection. If you have not got it I suggest you do. Well worth it.

Izzat the large-format 8x10, thinnish (1/2 inch) hardcover
BBC book by "Clegg, Foggy, & Compo" with lots of
pix, and frames around all the pages?? Chapters
with names like Country Mooching, Country Pursuits,
ans A Soldier's View????

I love the b&w pic of Holmfirth on the Contents page.
You can even see the park above the Huddersfield
Road with the now-demolished shelter.

OK, so I do have the "right book."

Got some great pix and all, but not nearly enough of them.

I always think that this book should be BIGGER!!

I think every LOTSW book needs to bigger.

After nearly 30 years with the programme, I'm sure Alan JW Bell could write a second volume of his recent 'Director's Chair' book.

Back to 'A Country Companion', written in 1992, I like the country walk Foggy has supposedly written.

While I have been sitting around for the past 5 weeks with my broken leg I have taken the opportunity to get out my LOTSW books I have not read for a long time and one called " A Country Companion " is I think a must for any Summer Wino to have in their collection. If you have not got it I suggest you do. Well worth it.
I see used copies of this book on sale on Amazon for very small money :)

My copy of this book was a bit crumpled on the dust sleeve and there was a coffee cup stain on one of the pages but for the money I paid which was only about a pound or two it was ok. :)

Could someone kindly give me a list of the Summer Wine book titles?
I would like to start collecting them, your posts about them has me intrigued.

Thanks,,, Ron

Here's a list of some of the books;

A Country Companion. 1992. Scripts converted into stories by another writer. Good pictures inside.

Last of the Summer Wine Scripts. 1976. Pilot and Series One scripts. Worth getting for the deleted scenes.

Last of the Summer Wine - The Story of the World's Longest-Running Comedy Series by Andrew Vine. Good book.

Last of the Summer Wine - From the Director's Chair by Alan JW Bell. Good book.

The Finest Vintage by Morris Bright and Robert Ross. Interesting book by two top writers but surprisingly littered with mistakes.

30 Years of Last of the Summer Wine. Same book as above only updated, without corrections.

Summer Wine Country by Roy Clarke. 1989. Mostly photographs of scenery but with excellent snippets of dialogue from Roy Clarke.

Last of the Summer Wine by Roy Clarke. 1974 and revised 1983. Getting Sam Home novel. Worth getting for the ripe dialogue.

The Moonbather by Roy Clarke. Novel of untelevised story.

Gala Week by Roy Clarke. Novel of untelevised story.

Last of the Summer Wine - Book 1. 1983. Cartoon book. If you like Claye's work, you'll love this too. Don't know if there was a second book.

Last of the Summer Wine - The Best of British Comedy by Richard Webber. As the cover says, The Best Scenes, Jokes and One-Liners.

Summer Wine and Vintage Years by Bill Owen. His autobiography.

Fading into the Limelight by Peter Sallis. His autobiography. Not got this, as seemed to be so little on LOTSW.

I expect there are other books besides these.

Back