A Little Odd

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
In the Man from Oswestry episode, Cleggy reads Cyril's letter saying that when Foggy retired from the Army he had been at the Barracks on the camp as a civilian, yet several series later he claimed he had another job waiting for him after the war
Foggy OBT.jpg

In the Man from Oswestry episode, Cleggy reads Cyril's letter saying that when Foggy retired from the Army he had been at the Barracks on the camp as a civilian, yet several series later he claimed he had another job waiting for him after the war
View attachment 4137

I imagine that Foggy turned it down because the call of the army and the possibility that someone within the army's echelons would recognise his ability as a silent killer was too good an opportunity to miss. Besides, a job with the Highways department is not exactly 'the way of the warrior', is it? Although some of the women that Compo talks about sound like they could of carried a war by themselves. Lol

I think a lot of men home from the war thought they would just fall back into their old civilian jobs. In realality they were uncomfortable with their lives and returned to the forces or emigrated. My father left the R.N in 1949 due to an Hernia. He thought married and worsted life then was for him but he was back in the R.N in 1955 to 1968. His one regret he missed the 1953 episode.

Back