All Ready for the Weekend

If you spot me around over the weekend come and say Hi, I will be at the hog roast on Barry estate weather permitting
View attachment 6129
Here across the Pond, I went to college in the South and I was introduced to that mysterious dish called Barbeque. For us from the North, when we were informed that they were serving Barbeque, we would always ask, "Barbequed what? And the answer would always be Barbeque. It turned out that it was roasted pork -- sounds a lot like Hogs Roast Pork Scratchings. Mix it up with some chile sauce and serve it on a bun. Yum yum!!

Here across the Pond, I went to college in the South and I was introduced to that mysterious dish called Barbeque. For us from the North, when we were informed that they were serving Barbeque, we would always ask, "Barbequed what? And the answer would always be Barbeque. It turned out that it was roasted pork -- sounds a lot like Hogs Roast Pork Scratchings. Mix it up with some chile sauce and serve it on a bun. Yum yum!!
That's a new one on me too, I'd have said the same as barbecue is a verb to me!
I'm guessing pork scratchings are a delicacy (if you can call them that!) unique to the UK. They are basically fried pork skin then salted and dried. They used to be a lot more popular than they are today as you would typically buy them in most pubs, I suppose the nearest parallel you have over there is maybe beef jerky. I'll eat pork scratchings when I've had a few to drink but probably not the top of my list....

That's a new one on me too, I'd have said the same as barbecue is a verb to me!
I'm guessing pork scratchings are a delicacy (if you can call them that!) unique to the UK. They are basically fried pork skin then salted and dried. They used to be a lot more popular than they are today as you would typically buy them in most pubs, I suppose the nearest parallel you have over there is maybe beef jerky. I'll eat pork scratchings when I've had a few to drink but probably not the top of my list....
OK, closer to Ham Roast. To make a really good barbeque, start real early in the morning and put your pork roast on the grill and have a fire -- charcoal and/or wood -- low and slow. Grill for the next eight or so hours. Then shred the meat, add the red sauce, chile or whatever and serve on a bun. Yum yum!

OK, closer to Ham Roast. To make a really good barbeque, start real early in the morning and put your pork roast on the grill and have a fire -- charcoal and/or wood -- low and slow. Grill for the next eight or so hours. Then shred the meat, add the red sauce, chile or whatever and serve on a bun. Yum yum!
Oh! You're talking about barbeque pulled pork! Yeah we just call that barbeque here in SC. Lol I was thinking of ribs for some reason! Fun fact, I just ate it for dinner last week and still forgot what it was, so that should tell you how forgetful I can be! Lol Another thing that's kind of unique to South Carolina is boiled peanuts. I freaking love those things and I thought you could find them anywhere in the south but my best friend moved to Louisiana for a little while (he and his boyfriend are back in SC now, they surprised me when I got home from the hospital!) and he said he wasn't able to find them anywhere except here. I knew you couldn't find them in Georgia but I thought you'd be able to find them other places, but no, they're a South Carolina thing.

I can understand these local to area food customs, only with a square mile around where I live can you get Kippers with Carnation milk
They serve that back in 1940 so you'll need your time machine out.

Back