Another victory for Elf n Safety??

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
After several years of having their wheelie bins collected from their back doors ,residents of some terraced houses in Newton Aycliffe in Co Durham will now have to trundle their bins up to 80 yards to the end of an alley to the rear of their houses ::) The reason ? You guessed it, someone has done a " risk assessment " and concluded that the binmen may suffer "musculoskeletal " injury. As one of the residents( many of whom are pensioners ) puts it "what next,loading them on the wagon??" The other alternative is to run the bins through their houses to the front door which may leave them with fines for blocking the pavement ??? Before the wheelie bins these same binmen would probably have carried the old steel bins on their shoulders ::) What next for Elf n Safety? >:(

After several years of having their wheelie bins collected from their back doors ,residents of some terraced houses in Newton Aycliffe in Co Durham will now have to trundle their bins up to 80 yards to the end of an alley to the rear of their houses ::) The reason ? You guessed it, someone has done a " risk assessment " and concluded that the binmen may suffer "musculoskeletal " injury. As one of the residents( many of whom are pensioners ) puts it "what next,loading them on the wagon??" The other alternative is to run the bins through their houses to the front door which may leave them with fines for blocking the pavement ??? Before the wheelie bins these same binmen would probably have carried the old steel bins on their shoulders ::) What next for Elf n Safety? >:(

For years we have called this health and stupidity,get all the residence to invoice the council for doing part of the job for them and also advise them that should any of them suffer injury they WILL be seeking compensation,the bin men would of had training (Under H&S rules) on how to manage and move bins,what training have the residence received

We have had to move our bins to the ends of drives,through houses and what not for many,many years now.As far as i know,it dosnt matter if the householder is fit and able or a pensioner on a walking stick they have to manage their bin themselves irrespective of distance,difficulties, etc.I used to tip our "waste disposal technicians" ::) every xmas but since they started to want to do less and less that stopped very quickly.

Hector.

We live in a narrow lane with six houses. We are at the top, about 700 yards away from a slightly wider lane/road, not suitable for putting bin out on to, it has no pavements. If they bring this rule in for us I may have a problem. Do I wait until I hear them coming (unlikely as I am very deaf) to trundle my bin out and hope they have waited for me (again unlikely) or do I pull it to the road and hope that it doesn't cause an accident? Of course there may be a person with common sense on our council (once more unlikely).

Hey Ho.

In work we're not allowed to use a step ladder. I don't mean a 10 or 15 step version, I mean a 2 step version. Because we haven't been trained how to climb them. I ask you. How many idiots on how much salary did it take to come up with that, eh?

My husband, who had been working on a building site for about 50 years, was ordered to attend a seminar about health and safety. He was taught how to put up, and climb a ladder, Rhi. I will ask him for some hints for you!!

At the end of the day it is all about 'Compo'.

It is amazing how we pay for certain services and we got to do them ourselves now. Going a bit off the subject but same topic. When we lived in Canada about 20 odd years ago we were told that the postman won't be coming to our door anymore. We have to walk down the street where there will be a big metal box with little doors that we can open to collect our post. This is mad.

Here we have to leave bins at the end of the street, out of sight, but if they are taken by some one else we have to pay for a new one. When pointing out that this discriminated against those living in narrower streets the local authority representative merely said most people could place them outside their house with out difficulty!

I do wish such people would answer my comments properly, but I guess that they can not as they do not actually know what to say.

While we have to pay for replacements ,we were told by the authority to "mark" our bins so we knew which were ours if they "strayed". This has led to some quite fancy artwork on some and a brisk trade in stick on numbers by one of the local shops.

While we have to pay for replacements ,we were told by the authority to "mark" our bins so we knew which were ours if they "strayed". This has led to some quite fancy artwork on some and a brisk trade in stick on numbers by one of the local shops.

We do that and they still"roam" - thinking of a very long chain (about 200 yards long)....

We do that and they still"roam" - thinking of a very long chain (about 200 yards long)....
Probably putting the "mockers" on it but our wheelie(rubbish) bin has been with us since issue several years ago. ;)

No, about 200 yards is a furlong - well 220 yards to be precise. A chain is a tenth of a furlong, 22 yards, length of a cricket pitch.

Back