At Last!

I think the episode was intended to be in colour.

In 1971, colour was in its infancy, and technician strikes were rife.

I also think back then some colour programmes were actually broadcast in black and white - though don't quote me on that.

The series was recorded on colour video, but some episodes only exist as b/w Telerecordings. This was a method to covert video to film, simply by pointing a film camera at a TV screen. These would be distributed to foreign broadcasters who did not have compatible video equipment, to use Telecine (video camera pointed at film projection) to make a broadcast tape in their format, or broadcast live from the film. Telerecording was also used to make recordings before video was available - We only have tv recording of Queen Elizabeth II coronation from Telerecordings made in this manner. The BBC pioneered recording video signals on to tape, first demonstrated in 1958.

The series was recorded on colour video, but some episodes only exist as b/w Telerecordings. This was a method to covert video to film, simply by pointing a film camera at a TV screen. These would be distributed to foreign broadcasters who did not have compatible video equipment, to use Telecine (video camera pointed at film projection) to make a broadcast tape in their format, or broadcast live from the film. Telerecording was also used to make recordings before video was available - We only have tv recording of Queen Elizabeth II coronation from Telerecordings made in this manner. The BBC pioneered recording video signals on to tape, first demonstrated in 1958.
I think this is probably what happened with the majority of Series Three and Series Four of The Worker (made at the same ATV company around the same time). One colour episode exists, the others are black and white.

Back