Babs-can see why she wasnt around for long

Having had the Compo passing triolgy, which as we all know was brilliant, followed by these episodes with Babs (and the daughter, yuk) was the worst time for lotsw. But happily it recovered and all was well in the end.

With all of the character changes in the post-Compo era, some were bound to fail. It took a lot of other characters time to properly fit in.

Now I differ from most forum members in that I always liked Tom and Mrs. Avery and I did enjoy those episodes. Babs however, was just strange. I still enjoyed the episodes because she was only a small part of them. I recall her only lasting for two episodes.

It seemed strange to me when I first watched these post Compo episodes why Tom didn't move into his father's house? And why would he be living in a garden shed??? That seemed strangest of all, not to mention his dog puppet which also seemed to disappear later. It seemed more natural to me that Tom would have moved into his father's place instead of a garden tool shed! Tom showed up immediately after Compo shuffled off so his place couldn't have been occupied yet.

It seemed strange to me when I first watched these post Compo episodes why Tom didn't move into his father's house? And why would he be living in a garden shed??? That seemed strangest of all, not to mention his dog puppet which also seemed to disappear later. It seemed more natural to me that Tom would have moved into his father's place instead of a garden tool shed! Tom showed up immediately after Compo shuffled off so his place couldn't have been occupied yet.

Simple answer. it was rented. Compo would not have owned the house and probably owed rent he he died. Thus Tom could not move into it.

Simple answer. it was rented. Compo would not have owned the house and probably owed rent he he died. Thus Tom could not move into it.

Wait a second. Didn't Tom and Mrs. Avery stay at Compo's home for a while. I remember a bit of a rivalry between Nora and Mrs. Avery. Now when Tom first entered the show he was full of schemes. I simply interpreted living in the garden shed as a result of none of his schemes working!

In another note... the subject responses in this topic just go to show how unpopular Babs was! No mention of her after the first few responses.

I even forget who Babs was. Was she the fat girlfriend of Tom or was she the girlfriend's hippie daughter? Or was the girlfriend a hippie and the daughter fat? I guess I didn't like what was happening with the characters either or I might remember it better. (Only seen those episodes once.)

And yes, I think you're right "codfanglers", I think Tom did, at the very beginning, live in Compo's house, I seem to remember him emerging out and his girlfriend having arguements with Nora.

I even forget who Babs was. Was she the fat girlfriend of Tom or was she the girlfriend's hippie daughter? Or was the girlfriend a hippie and the daughter fat? I guess I didn't like what was happening with the characters either or I might remember it better. (Only seen those episodes once.)

And yes, I think you're right "codfanglers", I think Tom did, at the very beginning, live in Compo's house, I seem to remember him emerging out and his girlfriend having arguements with Nora.
Babs was the niece of the girlfriend Mrs Avery.For me the highlight of her brief spell was her singing in the pub accompanied by Barry in Waggoners Roll ;D

Tom and Mrs Avery first lived in a mobile home in a field with a white picket fence and animals the garden, then they moved to Compos house, after Mrs Avery though Tom out he moved in with Smiler.

Major transitions are always a bit tricky. Having said that, I did like Mrs. Avery
in "The Missing Bus.." episode and Waggoners Roll always makes me laugh.
But truly I never thought Babs quite fit into the overall theme of the show.

Major transitions are always a bit tricky. Having said that, I did like Mrs. Avery
in "The Missing Bus.." episode and Waggoners Roll always makes me laugh.
But truly I never thought Babs quite fit into the overall theme of the show.
I think the idea of bring Tom and Mrs Avery in was to try and plug the gap Compo left but Babs was a step tp far. The missing bus was good :)

The Missing bus episode isn't half bad but the episodes with Babs are the lowest ebb of the shows long and distinguished time on television.

Thankfully, things much improved over later series and this showed Roy Clarke's ability to let the dust settle and get things back up and running as normal.

I don't think she fit in well with the rest of the characters with her gothic, punk rock image. It just didn't gel well with the overall, laid-back theme of LOTSW.

Back