Billy Hardcastle

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering whether anyone could give me some enlightenment to why the Billy Hardcastle played by Keith Clifford left the series. I've heard conflicting reasons, I vaguely recalling hearing Roy Clarke say once he was written out as the age dynamic of his character didn't quite work with the trio. But I've also heard he left of his own choice due to ill health or to pursue other work. Does anyone know why he left the show ?

I have heard he had a bad back.

Possibly it was awkward as the trio was developing into a quartet, which threw the show off balance.

There seemed to be too many Compo substitutes - Tom, Alvin and Billy Hardcastle.

I liked the Billy Hardcastle character, because there weren't too many Compo similarities. You can't replace Compo directly, with too many similarities, it's insulting. But the Billy Hardcastle character worked well.

As far as age goes, Brian Murphy was significantly younger too.

I always thought he left because he was going back into Coronation Street, although not as his previous character Charlie West.

I read in one of the Summer Wine books that he injured his foot or ankle when he stepped down from one of the trailers on set.

Was captured by the Sheriff of Nottingham got careless in his frantic attempt to get away from D W Cheetham ran straight into the arms of the Sheriff's men and was incarcerated in Nottingham Castle :08:;)

Bit of a shame he left. Enjoyed the Billy Hardcastle character. Would have been nice to of seen him, Barry and Alvin go on more adventures. Billy, Barry and Alvin could have taken over the more physically challenging comedy aspects. While Clegg and Truly could enjoy a drink nearby and chuckle at the mess the others got into while sharing their unique wisdom why things went wrong after the fact.

Back