Bus Fare.

amos hames

Dedicated Member
There us an episode where the trio get on a bus and clegg asks for 1 and 2 halfs. How can his be when they are supposed to be the same age. Were ticket prices different in the late eighties. I cant remember the episode. I would have thought they would all have bus passes.

I remember the scene, they did have passes but I think the other two had been acting like children just before the bus came and that was Cleggs joke. I could be wrong, thats how I saw it anyway :D

Has for bus fares in the 80's ....... Cheaper springs to mind.

Last edited:
There us an episode where the trio get on a bus and clegg asks for 1 and 2 halfs. How can his be when they are supposed to be the same age. Were ticket prices different in the late eighties. I cant remember the episode. I would have thought they would all have bus passes.

I certainly concur with the analysis of that this was a joke on Clegg's part. As for bus passes, they came in significantly later for senior citizens except in certain local authority areas. I remember an aunt and uncle who lived in North Surrey, served by London Transport who were most annoyed that those living just up the road in Greater London got free travel whereas they didn't. Free bus passes for senior citizens throughout the UK did not come in until after the millennium.

I certainly concur with the analysis of that this was a joke on Clegg's part. As for bus passes, they came in significantly later for senior citizens except in certain local authority areas. I remember an aunt and uncle who lived in North Surrey, served by London Transport who were most annoyed that those living just up the road in Greater London got free travel whereas they didn't. Free bus passes for senior citizens throughout the UK did not come in until after the millennium.

Absolutely - I concur with every word you say ....

I take your point about passes not being wild spread until after 2000 but in Adopted By A Stray in 1995 when they all get on the bus they show there passes to the driver and I remember Compo showing his in another episode too.

I take your point about passes not being wild spread until after 2000 but in Adopted By A Stray in 1995 when they all get on the bus they show there passes to the driver and I remember Compo showing his in another episode too.

Yes, they gradually became more widespread in the 90s. I think they came in in Fife in the 90s significantly before they became Scotland wide. We lost out somewhat when that happened because more people in Fife became eligible and we lost a valuable concession on the railway.

Annoyed that we do not qualify for the new Edinburgh trams. Only applicable to residents of Edinburgh with Scotland wide bus pass.

That's a bit mean to deny you the Edinburgh trams not like the usual policy of Transport for Scotland they seem to be passenger focused.One reason could be that the trams have to pay six million pounds a year interest so every penny of revenue is needed but they look like a good means of transport.

Anyone watching make the most of your bus pass as local authorities are looking to cut back and several bus companies have gone bust because of this ,I think that changes are on the way.The problem is that money,s fom government have been cut so councils say they cant afford the support , the threat of us having to pay over 50& is likely so write to your MP!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone watching make the most of your bus pass as local authorities are looking to cut back and several bus companies have gone bust because of this ,I think that changes are on the way.The problem is that money,s fom government have been cut so councils say they cant afford the support , the threat of us having to pay over 50& is likely so write to your MP!!!!!!!!!!

Is there any talk of eliminating the PlusBus pass program? I'd miss that a lot if it was taken away. That's the pass that can be purchased with a rail ticket for use at the destination. You buy one pass per day that you're going to be using the local bus, and each one is dated for the day it can be used. It's usually a good discount off the regular fare even if you use the bus only a couple of times per day. I also like the convenience of not having to take time to ask the fare and sort out the right change when I board.

Marianna

That's a bit mean to deny you the Edinburgh trams not like the usual policy of Transport for Scotland they seem to be passenger focused.One reason could be that the trams have to pay six million pounds a year interest so every penny of revenue is needed but they look like a good means of transport.

I am sure Transport Scotland does not have a great input here. A significant amount of the capital was provided by Edinburgh Council which needs to recoup its outlay and considers it only has a responsibility to Edinburgh residents. The Scottish senior citizens travel subsidy (bus pass) is limited to the bus services and the trams come under the same category as the railway.

images_zps1f15f085.jpg

Hre in West Yorkshire we have had the rail component of the Bus Pass changed recently. It used to be a 30p ticket off -peak (could go from Keighley to Wakefield and back for 60p - bargain); then up to 50p single journey but now it is 50%of the standard rail ticket which is still good value but a gradual erosion.

Annoyed that we do not qualify for the new Edinburgh trams. Only applicable to residents of Edinburgh with Scotland wide bus pass.

Bus passes do not work on Blackpool Trams although run by same organisation (I think) as runs the buses!

Hre in West Yorkshire we have had the rail component of the Bus Pass changed recently. It used to be a 30p ticket off -peak (could go from Keighley to Wakefield and back for 60p - bargain); then up to 50p single journey but now it is 50%of the standard rail ticket which is still good value but a gradual erosion.

Good grief! Its £1.60 to go two stops on the bus round here so 50p is a bargain.

West Yorkshire bus fares are excellent but here in Bucks bus fares are quite high from our house return to town centre is £1. 60 but Im lucky with the bus pass .I would like to see Compo trying to get on our local when a certain driver is on duty he would not even get a foot on the bus and as for Foggy trying to complain he would be base over tit very quickly!

Unc I like the tram logo is it about the fact that Edinborough cut the tram back it was supposed to serve the cruise ship dock wasn't it?

Back