Car Audio

In one of my first cars, which was a Ford Anglia two tone (Mud & Rust) it had fitted valve car radio, which took up most of the parcel shelf with its seperate power supply which hummed along with the music, that said it was a nice tone and never seemed to loose the signal, it also kept us warm in winter

Remember the removable facia off the radio you took off and carried in your pocket rendering the radio useless to thieves.
I had a Pioneer car stereo where the screen head came off and went in a plastic box about the size of a glasses case. Problem was that they were a bit bulky to carry around, particularly if I was on a night out around the town in must my finest slacks and Ben Sherman shirt!!! Therefore they didn't deter that many potential thieves as they knew they could well find the unit hidden somewhere in the car. I used to conceal mine under the boot carpet inside the spare wheel for this very reason....

I had a Pioneer car stereo where the screen head came off and went in a plastic box about the size of a glasses case. Problem was that they were a bit bulky to carry around, particularly if I was on a night out around the town in must my finest slacks and Ben Sherman shirt!!! Therefore they didn't deter that many potential thieves as they knew they could well find the unit hidden somewhere in the car. I used to conceal mine under the boot carpet inside the spare wheel for this very reason....
So at the same time the nicked your spare wheel

I had a Craig Powerplay cassette back in the day. There was nothing better on the market here, for quality sound in my opinion, and plenty loud too..

I think Harry Moss did a similar unit for a few pounds less, was probably the audioline rebadged

Personally I just don’t think cars have the right acoustics for really high end sound systems, due to the confined space. I bought a second hand BMW a few years ago where the previous owner had specified nearly every option this included their top of the range individual audio system which would be well over £5,000 today. I felt it just wasn't worth the money and didn't sound much better than the standard fit stereo.

I thought the car stereos used in 'It all began with an old volvo headlamp' sounded pretty hot, unless there was some kind of audio trickery used for the filming. I wouldn't want my eardrums in a closed car capable of such sound pressure levels, but you have to admire the throbbing of the subwoofers at several yards from the car.

Personally I just don’t think cars have the right acoustics for really high end sound systems, due to the confined space. I bought a second hand BMW a few years ago where the previous owner had specified nearly every option this included their top of the range individual audio system which would be well over £5,000 today. I felt it just wasn't worth the money and didn't sound much better than the standard fit stereo.
I had a top end BMW 3 series for a while, it also had all the extras , but still did not have indicators fitted

Back