Deleted scenes

wstol

Dedicated Member
I know many series and films where scenes were filmed but edited out, usually due to time restraints or simply to quicken the pace.

Anyone know of such scenes for LOTSW? And if so, do they still exist, and would they make a good feature as a DVD extra?

I can only think of so-called 'bloopers' and an unseen scene of Nora Batty leaving her house as if it had been sold - this was an 'insurance' scene filmed by Alan JW Bell as it looked like they may had to find a new filming location.

Not bloopers, but there are many "home movies" on Utube. These home movies are very interesting and informative. They show the filming process from a new perspective and give new insight on life on the LOTSW film set.

That is a really good question. Now, I haven't seen or heard of any scenes that were shot for any episodes but were edited out being their first transmission. The most I know of were the alternate scenes Alan J.W. Bell shot for some of the episodes. Like the one wstol mentioned with Nora Batty and according to Alan's book (which really could use a follow-up!), he shot scenes with a Wesley double when Gordon Wharmby was unfortunately sent to a mental institution. Luckily, he didn't have to use most of that footage when he was able to get Mr. Wharmby to shoot his scenes. And apparently, there was an alternate ending for "Welcome To Earth" where instead of John Cleese's scene, we had Wesley helping out the Trio. Other than that, I'm not aware of anymore scenes.

Now, I am aware of a scene being taken out after the initial broadcast. I heard that in "Big Day In Dream Acres", there was a scene in which Pearl and some of the other women went to the hairdresser's that was edited out of future airings. Dunno why but it seems a bit blasphemous in a way. :)

As for if it would make a good DVD extra, of course it would! I'm sure there is enough behind the scenes footage and other goodies they've got sitting in their archive for several discs. Fingers crossed!

That is a really good question. Now, I haven't seen or heard of any scenes that were shot for any episodes but were edited out being their first transmission. The most I know of were the alternate scenes Alan J.W. Bell shot for some of the episodes. Like the one wstol mentioned with Nora Batty and according to Alan's book (which really could use a follow-up!), he shot scenes with a Wesley double when Gordon Wharmby was unfortunately sent to a mental institution. Luckily, he didn't have to use most of that footage when he was able to get Mr. Wharmby to shoot his scenes. And apparently, there was an alternate ending for "Welcome To Earth" where instead of John Cleese's scene, we had Wesley helping out the Trio. Other than that, I'm not aware of anymore scenes.

Now, I am aware of a scene being taken out after the initial broadcast. I heard that in "Big Day In Dream Acres", there was a scene in which Pearl and some of the other women went to the hairdresser's that was edited out of future airings. Dunno why but it seems a bit blasphemous in a way. :)

As for if it would make a good DVD extra, of course it would! I'm sure there is enough behind the scenes footage and other goodies they've got sitting in their archive for several discs. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for that.

Yes, I have seen the hairdressers scene in Big Day at Dream Acres, it wasn't in one of my old VHS recordings I did in the 80s.

There's a scene in Uncle of the Bride that doesn't always get shown. I think it involves the trio in the street, and Compo being deliberately awkward to Seymour.

Another scene that doesn't always get shown is Nora at her dressing table in Some Enchanted Evening.

As regards to Welcome to Earth, I've always seen John Cleese at the end, though on first transmission he used the stage name Kim Bread in the credits, all subsequent showings to my knowledge haved billed him as John Cleese.

As regards to a different ending, I know there was one forum member (I'm sorry, can't remember who it was, or even if it was on the 'other' forum) who claims Wesley is seen picking up vegetables.

What's this? What's this?! What happened to Gordon Wharmby?
And an edit I know of is in Ordeal By Trousers. On YouTube I saw Compo singing before they focus in on Foggy 'dancing".

Back