Denise Van Outen

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Reading about her recent accident while filming reminded me of an event about 18 years ago.
I was tipped of by a friend that they were filming at Haworth Station which was only about 3 miles from where I was living, so I gathered up my camera and got to the station, I walked straight onto the platform, where there was a little activity, then back into the booking hall, as I stood there an attractive young lady approached and said hello, we stood there for 10 minutes chatting about nothing, I assumed she was one of the crew, she asked me what my involvement was with the filming, I explained i was just a onlooker, I asked her was she crew or an extra,she explained she had a small part in the program (Which turned out to be Where the Heart is), I wished her luck as she was called away.

I walked out to the car park and spotted someone I knew from LOSW filming, he had seen me chatting to this lady and said I was very lucky as she is normally well protected from fans etc, I must of looked a little blank, he then said do you know who that is, I replied no, it was Denise Van Outen.

Most of the people disappeared on a steam train and returned about 2 hours later, that is where the filming was taking place, Miss Outen returned to a waiting car, she said to me, oh your still here, I asked for a photo raised my camera and a big burly chap moved in to stop me, she said it's okay let him have a photo, which I still have somewhere, and I managed to get it signed a few days later, if I find it I will post it here.

I think at the time she had a breakfast TV show maybe C4 or 5

She was main stalwart of the Big Breakfast [after Chris Evans moved on] on C4 with Johnny Vaughan . I have only ever chatted with two people in the public limelight. The first was years ago and it was Rory Gallagher the Irish king of the blues who was playing Newcastle City Hall but was just wondering around Newcastle City Centre in the afternoon before the gig , really down to earth guy so sad when he passed away .

The other was Booker T Jones who came out and chatted to the crowd and signed copies of his album at the Sage a few years back . I was just a jibbering wreck because I'm thinking to myself I am standing here in line to talk to a guy who played on some of the greatest records ever made , a god of the soul world .

I thanked him for signing the record and offered him my condolences for the loss of Donald Duck Dunn who had died recently . All I thought of asking him was at the height of the Motown v Stax contest for the top rated soul label [even though they weren't really in competition] did they as the house band for Stax ever get together with the Funk Brothers from Motown or did any rivalry prevent it . He talked to me for what seemed hours but in reality was 5 minutes about what those times were like and the mutual admiration both ensembles had for each other . He was such a gentleman and was immaculately dressed I was so in awe when it ended I walked off in a daze , it was an honour to meet him. :)

I absolutely adore Mossissey [I know !!!.....not everyone's taste]....
When The Smiths broke up he said he would never tour again...THEN... in 1988 he announced he was going to do 1 CONCERT !!!!....at Wolverhampton Civic Hall...[22nd December]
The concert would be free...providing you had a Smiths t shirt on.
I arrived a day early,with a sleeping bag,to ensure I would get it...only to find loads of people already there...they had travelled from America,Europe,and even Australia !!!!
Morrissey has set up a mini farm..with lambs,donkeys,rabbits,and sheep....you could feed them by hand !!
He arrived in a bus exactly the same as the bus in" Carry on at your convenience" !!!...
Everyone went wild.....the concert was amazing,...so I thought..." I will wait at the stage door and tell him how much I admire him"....
So there I am...waiting for my idol....and suddenly...he appears......I look at him.....look at the floor...and start giggling and muttering something under my breath....whilst having a face as red as a postbox....he just smiled and boarded his bus......
My one chance to express my love and respect...gone forever !!!......
All these years later I still think about it when I am listening to The Smiths or Morrissey...
As a Liverpool Docker I usually never shut up !!......but 33 years ago I was rendered speechless !!!.

I absolutely adore Mossissey [I know !!!.....not everyone's taste]....
When The Smiths broke up he said he would never tour again...THEN... in 1988 he announced he was going to do 1 CONCERT !!!!....at Wolverhampton Civic Hall...[22nd December]
The concert would be free...providing you had a Smiths t shirt on.
I arrived a day early,with a sleeping bag,to ensure I would get it...only to find loads of people already there...they had travelled from America,Europe,and even Australia !!!!
Morrissey has set up a mini farm..with lambs,donkeys,rabbits,and sheep....you could feed them by hand !!
He arrived in a bus exactly the same as the bus in" Carry on at your convenience" !!!...
Everyone went wild.....the concert was amazing,...so I thought..." I will wait at the stage door and tell him how much I admire him"....
So there I am...waiting for my idol....and suddenly...he appears......I look at him.....look at the floor...and start giggling and muttering something under my breath....whilst having a face as red as a postbox....he just smiled and boarded his bus......
My one chance to express my love and respect...gone forever !!!......
All these years later I still think about it when I am listening to The Smiths or Morrissey...
As a Liverpool Docker I usually never shut up !!......but 33 years ago I was rendered speechless !!!.
I missed Morrissey by about 5 minutes in our village the other year. He was staying close by and called in at a few shops. The photo’s of his visit popped up on social media, it was in the middle of a huge thunderstorm and I had just been in it walking the dogs through the village. I was gutted. He was photographed early last year but even if I had been stood next to him I don’t think I would have recognised him as he had a flat cap on, woolly overcoat and thick rimmed specs .F417400D-7844-42F7-82A1-600911E3AA5E.jpegF417400D-7844-42F7-82A1-600911E3AA5E.jpeg

Back