Did we ever see?

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
There was a house between Howard and Cleggys house, the house above the church in Holmfirth with the arch windows, yet I don't think we ever saw who supposedly lived there

Behind the scenes there was a large hint. The people who lived in that house wanted excessive compensation for having to endure the filming (or something like that). That sparked the "move" of Cleggy and Howard to a location that was much better. It was much easier to film, and it was easier to position cameras and other equipment.

Behind the scenes there was a large hint. The people who lived in that house wanted excessive compensation for having to endure the filming (or something like that). That sparked the "move" of Cleggy and Howard to a location that was much better. It was much easier to film, and it was easier to position cameras and other equipment.

I was led to believe the BBC bought that row of houses to use them in filming. After the series ended, they were extensively done up and sold on.

I was led to believe the BBC bought that row of houses to use them in filming. After the series ended, they were extensively done up and sold on.

Where did you hear that? I find it unlikely, if only because Alan Bell in his book talks about some the things the BBC did over the years that he thought were wasteful. In fact, if I recall correctly, he says the people at the new houses were very easy to work with during filming.

Where did you hear that? I find it unlikely, if only because Alan Bell in his book talks about some the things the BBC did over the years that he thought were wasteful. In fact, if I recall correctly, he says the people at the new houses were very easy to work with during filming.

I agree, I asked Alan why they moved from there, he informed me it was a very tight area to work safely with all the equipment

I agree, I asked Alan why they moved from there, he informed me it was a very tight area to work safely with all the equipment
I'm not sure if that was just the polite explanation for moving, but as Sarkus says, in his book Alan was very explicit that one of the residents was demanding too much money for using her home in the street scenes as she used to work for the BBC Drama department and felt she should be getting paid more. So he moved Cleggs & Howards house as quite rightly he didn't want to be held to ransom, he did say in hindsight it was easier to film at the new location but that wasn't the catalyst for moving.

I'm not sure if that was just the polite explanation for moving, but as Sarkus says, in his book Alan was very explicit that one of the residents was demanding too much money for using her home in the street scenes as she used to work for the BBC Drama department and felt she should be getting paid more. So he moved Cleggs & Howards house as quite rightly he didn't want to be held to ransom, he did say in hindsight it was easier to film at the new location but that wasn't the catalyst for moving.

I always always under the impression it was a Nora's location he was having a problem with a resident demanding more money, I tend to forget there are more homes along the lane from Nora's and often the lane was blocked during filming, Alan then said he had enough and would move from there to a new location the following year, then out of the blue the dispute was resolved by the residents

There were problems at both Clegg's house (near the church) AND Nora's house.

It is documented than Alan JW Bell recorded a short scene with a SOLD sign outside the house, and Nora leaving the house for the last time.

It was filmed in case they had to find a new location, but it was never actually used in the show.

Don't know if the recording still exists - it would be a very interesting find...

I was going to say the same thing wstol from my recollection of his book. I've always thought, I would not want to have been the person who caused the filming to be moved from Howard/Cleggs original house, and ruined a degree of celebrity and a modest income each year of my neighbours! o_O

Back