Edie, Auto, and Smiler

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
In our rotation, just watched Edie and the Automobile.

Great episode.

But early on The Lads kept mentioning Smiler.

But Smiler does not appear for another 8 episodes
or so.

Hmmm

I t may not be that Smiler. Roy Clarke has used the same names to refer to many characters (some we have never even seen). He has used the name Bickerdyke on more than one ocassion.
Just a thought :)

It was another smiler Compo was on about 'Smiler Ogden'
I wonder did the author keep list of names referred in episodes to avoid making unintentional crossing references?

In Finland we are now having the Series 6 to 14 aired for the first time (no xmas specials though!), and I too noted that the name Smiler was mentioned in this episode (Series 9 1987 073), In Finland we use subtitles and original sound tracks. I was puzzled as the translator had translated the term "Smiler" in Finnish, yet the character Clem Hemmingway's nick name has always been written as "Smiler" (i.e. not translated).

After second look I noted that the Smiler referred here was "Smiler Ogden". There has been another "Ogden", Ogden Butterclough played by Brian Glover in Keeping Britain Tidy (Series 8 1985 057). I trust this is "another Ogden", no?

I wonder why some names were re-appearing so often. There has been a number of Florries, unrelated Wainwrights etc.

It's all rather confusing, really...

pekka

I've noticed the re-use of presumably common Yorkshire last names in many episodes. Smiler was originally introduced as Clem Hemingway (in "That Certain Smile") but Hemingway is used a lot before and after that to refer to unseen and even seen characters. As was Bickerdyke, as noted above.

Ogden is also a common name in these parts, as indeed is Clegg.

There is a well known Land Rover dealers called Simmonites, and there was a theologian called Blamires. However Utterthwaite does seem to be a fictitious name - any web search only throws up references to the SW characters!

Back