Every* British TV Sitcom: Trivia Question1

theatrically_inclined

Dedicated Member
As some of you may know, there are a few obstacles preventing any filming at the moment, but there really are some more videos to come, even another in the "Summer Wine Decanted" series...

Meanwhile, I am researching and writing more video series scripts. Part of my research is to collate details of *nearly every British TV sitcom. It is "nearly" partly due to there probably being some obscure series that have little written about them.

So far I have catalogued every sitcom that had its first episode broadcast from between November 1946 and November 2009...

Here's the question: What was the first ever British tv sitcom called?

Hint: My "Summer Wine Decanted: The Christmas Episodes" video has the answer!

As some of you may know, there are a few obstacles preventing any filming at the moment, but there really are some more videos to come, even another in the "Summer Wine Decanted" series...

Meanwhile, I am researching and writing more video series scripts. Part of my research is to collate details of *nearly every British TV sitcom. It is "nearly" partly due to there probably being some obscure series that have little written about them.

So far I have catalogued every sitcom that had its first episode broadcast from between November 1946 and November 2009...

Here's the question: What was the first ever British tv sitcom called?

Hint: My "Summer Wine Decanted: The Christmas Episodes" video has the answer!
Have you got the really obscure stuff on the list like The Sun Trap which was supposedly so bad it was abandoned after first showing?

Have you got the really obscure stuff on the list like The Sun Trap which was supposedly so bad it was abandoned after first showing?
I have only just started on the 2010's, if it's the 2015 show you're referring to I've not got to it yet! Thanks for the tip :D
It's almost shocking how many sitcoms only lasted one series of 6- or 7 episodes! It's like the programme makers and commissioning editors don't know what the viewers want!

One of the worst ever written to one of the best comedic writers starring some well established stars , including the writer, Curry and Chips never ever to be shown again totally awful and so questionable on many fronts.

One of the worst ever written to one of the best comedic writers starring some well established stars , including the writer, Curry and Chips never ever to be shown again totally awful and so questionable on many fronts.
Love Thy Neighbour will never be repeated either, but controversially as it may have been it was funny in parts. If you want the worst to the worst, try The Bottle Boys

I was thinking that because they were ground breaking and avant garde they were deemed controversial and I can only imagine what the press said about them and the sheer outrage in the letters to Points of View.

I would certainly nominate Come Back Mrs Noah & Take a Letter Mr Jones to the former category!
Thanks :) I'm aware of both .. Mrs Noah has come up on every "worst of" list I've seen ... I'll have to look into Mr Jones!
Non-traditional sitcom scenarios (especially sci-fi) seem to have always been poorly received... I "think" Red Dwarf is the only successful sci-fi sitcom, despite "First of the Summer Wine" pilot director and 1980s Head of BBC Comedy, Gareth Gwenlan, turning it down (twice I think).

I'm guessing you could add Monty Python , Spike's Q series and even Fawlty Towers specifically the Germans episode to the controversial list which they most certainly were when they came to screen.
"Don't mention the War..."
I had forgotten "The Germans" - although I was concentrating on series rather than individual episodes that were criticised - it's on the list!
I don't think any of the published lists have included Monty Python or Q, probably due to the professional critics having a soft spot for the elite and respected performers. :rolleyes: ;)

Back