First of the Summer Wine.

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
I know we've covered this before but on our Facebook group we have someone posting that they don't like First of the Summer wine because it doesn't gel with Last of the Summer Wine and it leaves them all confused because they can't link it up. I say we just view it as a separate program by Roy Clarke and just enjoy it. I love it, no it doesn't gel/link up but it's funny and an interesting view of the world before WW2. The characters are believable, I love Wally Batty and Compo too, I'd like to have seen Shurbet make an appearance on Last of, I think if there'd been a fourth man he'd have been great.

As for linking it up, there are moments in Last of the Summer Wine that can't be linked up to other series of Last of the Summer Wine so it's not surprising it can't be linked up to a separate show.

Yes they need to be viewed as different shows, I know there was confusion i.e. Seymour was in FOSW so the trio knew who he was, yet in Uncle of the Bride they asked Who's Seymour, it seems over the years the chap from SWAS was very good at reading the scripts and helped with these continuity errors before they were made, but he and Alan Bell were not involved with FOSW so it slipped through the net

I agree they are different shows with some links between them. It is very much in the vein of Only Fools and Horses and the prequel to that Rock and Chips which charts Del Boy and some of the other characters in their formative years . I am surprised Gold hasn't chosen to air FOSW considering they are now on their second lap of the full LOTSW episodes ,perhaps they don't have the rights to show it , as a follow up to my mail about the first Hobbo episode I might ask the question .

Decided to take up the challenge and ask if FOSW was to be broadcast on UKTV channels extract of reply I received below:-

Thank you for your email.

We don't hold the broadcast rights for this, but we thank you for your programme suggestion, we keep a log of all requests and we will pass your suggestion on to the channel team at Gold who will look into it.

We can sometimes acquire rights to suggested programmes and love to see this type of feedback.

For now it appears to be DVD only for anyone wishing to watch or possibly torrent site

Thank you Pearl ,if the person who answered my enquiry was factually accurate then their right to broadcast must have expired and it appears on face value they don't seem to be in a hurry to re-secure them.

It's the razzmatazz , show business side of Pearl we are seeing just like the song says New York, New York so good they named it twice :08: or perhaps Pearl has issues with Post Boxes and sending letters its such a struggle Pearl has to post them twice :confused:

It's the razzmatazz , show business side of Pearl we are seeing just like the song says New York, New York so good they named it twice :08: or perhaps Pearl has issues with Post Boxes and sending letters its such a struggle Pearl has to post them twice :confused:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Go with the showbiz side :03:

Because the forum has been slow and I have the patience of a nat I tend to keep pressing the button until it posts, the same happens when I'm printing, if it's a bit slow I press the button multiple time thus ending in me have several hundred copies of something I only wanted once, if I could sell copies of the AA road map from my house to Inverness I'd have made a fortune the other year!!!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Go with the showbiz side :03:

Because the forum has been slow and I have the patience of a nat I tend to keep pressing the button until it posts, the same happens when I'm printing, if it's a bit slow I press the button multiple time thus ending in me have several hundred copies of something I only wanted once, if I could sell copies of the AA road map from my house to Inverness I'd have made a fortune the other year!!!
I've had to delete a few myself because of the same problem!:x3::unsure:

Glad I am not the only one who expects instant results form the computer and keeps on pressing, but not guessing (as in Catch Phrase)

Back