Gentle Comedies

She didn't but only because Richard (yes he was also called Richsrd) her hubby wasn't as much a pushover as hyacinth hubby and something he wouldn't be into.
She once binned a load of my books etc which my ex borrowed. Alternative ideas etc. Not Christian, in the bin. I was fuming for about 2 minutes and then chuckled. She was actually lovely I liked her and her hubby loads. Pair of Conservative types but I do not care as long as you're decent etc.

I have always wondered about that one where they were going to a hotel for a golfing vacation. The thing I was wondering about was at the hotel, the door to their room had three ravens on it. And the specific reason why that intrigued me was that my coat of arms also contains three ravens. Very interesting.

A couple more I missed was Only When I Laugh with James [Likely Lads] Bolam which was really funny in parts and lasted four series , long time to be in Hospital !! The other of course which starred Richard Wilson , who was the Doctor in Only When I laugh , was of course the brilliant One Foot in the Grave

I am sure this has been mentioned before, a comedy written by John Sullivan (of only fools and horses fame) called Just Good Friends, it was a strange premise - a woman jilted on her wedding day meets up with the chap who jilted her years later. It should have been an uncomfortable topic, yet , there were some very wittily written scenes. It was released on DVD but was edited due to some copyright issues I believe due to music being used. It may not be laugh out loud comedy, however it had is charm for me at least.

But it has Cousin Kevin who scarred me for most of my childhood : ) Will check it out nonetheless as episode one appears to be on YT.

Edit: A few minutes in, Penny appears to be on a date with Young Hobbo.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em counts as gentle comedy, but I got my wife into watching it a few years ago & she probably likes it more than me now!
My mam and dad loved it and as a kid I did too. Obviously the roller skate scene really impressed me and especially when my dad said Michael Crawford used to do all his stunts including the skate scene. I was very impressed :37:
I know the film was slightly speeded up during the skate scene but that was still dangerous. 1 slip or misjudgement and the best he can expect is serious shredded knees etc and the worst very bad injury or death. It was risky. He was highly competent skating but as the old saying goes accidents do happen. I wouldn't have done it.

Last edited:
My mam and dad loved it and as a kid I did too. Obviously the roller skate scene really impressed me and especially when my dad said Michael Crawford used to do all his stunts including the skate scene. I was very impressed :37:
I know the film was slightly speeded up during the skate scene but that was still dangerous. 1 slip or misjudgement and the best he can expect is serious shredded knees etc and the worst very bad injury or death. It was risky. He was highly competent skating but as the old saying goes accidents do happen. I wouldn't have done it.
Compo did it better ;)

Back