Gone all Nostalgic

Radio Luxembourg: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Dare#Radio_Luxembourg_serial

The New Adventures of Dan Dare, Pilot of the Future aired five times a week on Radio Luxembourg for five years from 2 July 1951. Dan's voice was Noel Johnson, who also played Dick Barton on BBC radio.[6] Each episode started with the command "Spaceships Away!". The 15-minute show was sponsored by Horlicks and on 3 March 1952, the 106th episode of Dan Dare was heard that Monday night with different episodes on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at 7:15pm. Although the dramatisation was recorded on wax discs for broadcast, the original discs were lost or destroyed.[7] Until recently no copies had ever been recovered but in late 2011 two episodes were found as part of the Lost Shows Appeal, orchestrated by missing episode hunter Charles Norton. The recovered shows were "Under Sentence of Death" (episode 76), aired 21 January 1952, and The Lost World On Mars (episode 53), aired 19 March 1953.[8]

If I remember rightly, 'Journey into Space' was on a Monday at 19:30 on Light Programme.
The things that were happening on "Dan Dare and Journey into Space" regarding space travel which were laughed at those day (a Man on the Moon for instance) It`s happened as we all know. I think there will be a lot of other things as well. Probably not in my time. Beam me up Scotty (from our time)

Talking Pictures TV just keeps on giving , there was a little vignette at stupid o'clock which I recorded . It was about Chipperfield Circus from 1950 and while Circuses are not PC because of the Animals which of course are no longer kept and used by Circuses but in the day it was something of awe to see and great family entertainment .

This short film came from the personal archive of Richard Hearne who some of you will know but for those who don't is Mr Pastry . Born in 1908 he was of course 42 when this was shot but it shows him not only clowning in the ring but riding a horse bareback , performing somersaults off a trampoline .

Clearly he was a very fit man and accomplished in many facets of the Circus . It was a great little film hopefully it may be show again so others can see it, there is one from 10 years later in 1960 so posting here obviously it shows images of caged animals so apologies in advance and if you feel its upsetting do not watch but I am posting purely to show Mr Pastry for those who don't know him and it is of the time .

Back