Goodbyes

Pete.

Dedicated Member
I watched The Warrior returns today,and it left me thinking,has any other character in the 37yr history had a proper goodbye,as in written in the script with the character taking part,Seymour had handshakes and goodbyes before he left on the bus,and I can't think of another occasion when it has happened,usually characters just stop appearing,with their disappearances explained by other characters,would love to know if there has been others,
Pete x

That is the only time a departing character appeared. However, keep in mind that many of the departures were due to death or illness, so its not like the actors could have appeared.

The core trio members were the only ones who generally got an explanation as to why they weren't around. Each of those was explained with the exception of when Billy disappeared. Non core trio members were almost never directly addressed and the only exception to that I can think of right now is that when Nora first left the show they did address that. But otherwise it was mentioned later, if at all. I think in the case of actors/characters passing away that Clarke and Bell decided that wasn't something they wanted to directly and immediately address on the show (with the obvious exception of Compo.)

Seymour was the only one that had a proper goodbye with handshakes and cheerios, Billy and Smiler could have had goodbyes as could Crusher.

Yes, that episode opened with Nora leaving with her suitcase and then the trio had a very long conversation about her trip to Australia; which counts as a goodbye.

Yes, wouldn't it have been a scream for Crusher to say goodbye because he was going to University. lol . . Other than what you all have mentioned they only spoke of Cyril going to Wales when that lady became a widow.

Yes, that episode opened with Nora leaving with her suitcase and then the trio had a very long conversation about her trip to Australia; which counts as a goodbye.

That must be during Series 23. Remember the conservation, but don't remember Kathy Staff being in it.

Was a double used?

Seymour was the only one that had a proper goodbye with handshakes and cheerios, Billy and Smiler could have had goodbyes as could Crusher.

Blamire could have shown up for a goodbye as well as Michael Bates continued acting for two more years on "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" and didn't die until 1978.

As for Crusher, from what I've read the issue there was that Jonathan Linsley went on a crash diet. So the reason they didn't bring him back was in part because they didn't want to try and figure out how to incorporate his weight loss into the character. A goodbye appearance probably would have been forced to deal with the same issue. Though I have always wondered about the appearance of his girlfriend a year later, which obviously implies the character is still around. It makes me wonder if perhaps they had the idea of having Linsley back for a special appearance then and its just didn't work out, similar to how there were two different times where Brian Wilde was supposed to come back to guest as Foggy and both didn't end up happening.

I may be totally wrong, but was Crusher's girlfriend Fran just a hastily written, otherwise pointless, cameo for Yvette Fielding who was, I think but could be totally wrong, involved with an item for Blue Peter about LOTSW?

I suppose Foggy's second departure with the use of a double may count for something.

I may be totally wrong, but was Crusher's girlfriend Fran just a hastily written, otherwise pointless, cameo for Yvette Fielding who was, I think but could be totally wrong, involved with an item for Blue Peter about LOTSW?

I suppose Foggy's second departure with the use of a double may count for something.

Yes I think it could, on a par with using a double for Norah when she went away.

Yes that was it.

Back