hello

C

CompoSimmonite

Where do I start as I never know what to put in such introductions ::)
I've loved the program since 1970's. As you can see my user name is CompoSimmonite and this is what I use on all forums no matter what they are about. My email address for everything is compo.simmonite@ntlworld.com and even back in early 80's when CB radios were first made legal my "handle" was Compo !
I had to take early (forced) retirement on health grounds many years ago and suffer with numerous definable physical medical conditions including chronic depression. Every day I look forward to the episodes shown on Sky as they are better than any medication I take. In fact despite already having all the DVD's I tend to work my life / daily routine (I don't go out of the house unless necessary) around these viewings. Doctors says if it gives me an escape from everything for a short while then not to try and change my viewing habits. It takes me back to a simpler time I enjoyed before my health started to deteriate.
Every time I'm in the area I always try to visit Holmfirth and was there last week. I've never done a proper tour nor tried to find locations other than Compo's house and the cafe. I did take a wrong turning the other day though (Satnav) and discovered Eddie and Wesley's house :)
I'm converting a van into a single person camper so one of the places I intend visiting for a few days is the town and armed with the locations listed on this forum will hopefully have an enjoyable time fully exploring the area rather than day visits.
For those who haven't been to Holmfirth in person the locations are a lot smaller area than you imagine from looking at the TV. Compo & Nora's houses are tiny. The steps that are a little higher than Nora's house that go down to the lower level and you only ever see people going up and down them from a distance, never the actual steps, are only around 18" wide ! Same with Eddie and Wesley's house - eveything a lot more compact than I expected. Also last week the river was deeper than expected and flowing quite fast plus the bottom was full of large rocks so I'll view any episodes that include it with more repsect for actors and stuntmen as no way would i venture into it.

Bye for now.

Paul Humphries,
Werrington,
Stoke-on-Trent,
Staffs.

Welcome to the site Paul, I hope you have many happy hours here.

Welcome aboard Paul, it is interesting to see the ways that the show has played different roles in peoples lives,I am guessing that most members have a daily dose of losw,I often watch them last thing at night to switch off.

Have a great time with your Holmfirth and surrounding area trip, Eddie's house was up for sale a while back and I was surprised to see it is only 1 bedroom,and I hope the map section and other postings will help you find many of the locations

Terry

Hello Paul,

Summer Wine is very theraputic . I have a stressful teaching job and despite having 2 hours of work to do in my 90 minute planning period, I got right to the forum and relax for a bit. The show itself is definitely relaxing, thanks to the Yorkshire Countryside.

Welcome Paul - sorry this is a bit belated but I have been very busy of late, however good to have more aboard ....

Back