Help wanted.

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
I have a very good Logitech camera, 930 but it is not wi-fi. I wish to use it as wi-fi but the kit is a bit expensive. I could buy a new wi-fi camera but a lot of them have curved verticals where they should be straight. Can anyone recommend a good indoor wi-fi camera or a way of converting my existing Logitech. Please don't reply in computereze as my grey matter is passed its' sell by date.:(

I have a very good Logitech camera, 930 but it is not wi-fi. I wish to use it as wi-fi but the kit is a bit expensive. I could buy a new wi-fi camera but a lot of them have curved verticals where they should be straight. Can anyone recommend a good indoor wi-fi camera or a way of converting my existing Logitech. Please don't reply in computereze as my grey matter is passed its' sell by date.:(
Forgot to mention, we do not have a mobile phone.

Most cameras have wifi built in these days which can be a lot less trouble that adapters to make things work

how old is your current camera?

I'm a bit confused as to what you are trying to do that makes you want wi-fi on your camera, which from what I can see is a webcam. Usually the whole idea of those is that you attach them to your computer or otherwise use them very near, so having them be wired shouldn't be that big of deal. The only thing I can conclude is that you want to carry it around and use it that way. To be honest, you can buy a cheap phone and not even use it as a phone and do that for less then what it will cost you to buy a new wi-fi webcam or convert it.

Most cameras have wifi built in these days which can be a lot less trouble that adapters to make things work

how old is your current camera?
Two years. It cost me £129. It is a Logitech 930. I want to situate the camera in the conservatory so that we can watch the wild life in the garden. If I can do it I am contemplating putting a 6 metre long USB extension cable in. That should do the job and save the cost of another camera. I will keep you informed of my progress.

I have a couple of these cameras and the work very well, we just have them in the windows looking at the street, though we keep the infrared off otherwise to much glare when it is dark, not a problem for us as there is good street lighting, they work wireless only and can be viewed via a app on a mobile or tablet plus a windows pc with a bit of a fiddle, it does need mains power nearby

Two years. It cost me £129. It is a Logitech 930. I want to situate the camera in the conservatory so that we can watch the wild life in the garden. If I can do it I am contemplating putting a 6 metre long USB extension cable in. That should do the job and save the cost of another camera. I will keep you informed of my progress.
You might find that when using a long USB cable the power drop wont give you enough power to run the camera

I'm a bit confused as to what you are trying to do that makes you want wi-fi on your camera, which from what I can see is a webcam. Usually the whole idea of those is that you attach them to your computer or otherwise use them very near, so having them be wired shouldn't be that big of deal. The only thing I can conclude is that you want to carry it around and use it that way. To be honest, you can buy a cheap phone and not even use it as a phone and do that for less then what it will cost you to buy a new wi-fi webcam or convert it.
Thank you for your interest Sarkus. We want to watch the wildlife in the garden on a monitor in the living room. To do that we need a wi-fi camera which will transmit signals to my laptop. Unfortunately, some cameras do not give a decent enough picture. The camera we do have is not wi-fi so it has to be connected to the laptop by means of a USB cable. We have ordered an extension cable which will be delivered today. I'll give you updates.

What about something like this? It uses a LAN cable instead of wifi to extend the USB connection. A bit less expensive than the wireless extender you mentioned which costs as much as your camera, ugh.

I guess you mean the fish eye lens effect some cameras use to create a wider field of view when you mention curved verticals. I see the Logitech 930e uses 1080p with Carl Zeiss optics, very nice.

edit, this has a range to 60 meters with good cat5 / cat6 cable

I have a couple of these cameras and the work very well, we just have them in the windows looking at the street, though we keep the infrared off otherwise to much glare when it is dark, not a problem for us as there is good street lighting, they work wireless only and can be viewed via a app on a mobile or tablet plus a windows pc with a bit of a fiddle, it does need mains power nearby
We are contemplating buying one of those cameras Terry which we will set up in the bedroom window. Facing outwards I hastily add :D ....

What about something like this? It uses a LAN cable instead of wifi to extend the USB connection. A bit less expensive than the wireless extender you mentioned which costs as much as your camera, ugh.

That is some serious USB extending! I have an old spool of Cat5e that may finally find a purpose.

That is some serious USB extending! I have an old spool of Cat5e that may finally find a purpose.

We had miles of fibre cable stored at the site I worked at but it was purchased in error as it was the wrong type [not low smoke non halogen] and so it was consigned and may remain to this day in a huge offsite store . We had a network contractor who bid to buy it for a knock down price and suggested to the Chiefs that he intended to use it genuinely to make those coloured fibre optic lamps [stripping it down ] so common many years ago and flippantly strip the cable down attach a huge motor and use it to cut the grass on the Newcastle Town Moor in one swoop. As you can imagine the Chiefs were less than pleased as they were already hugely embarrassed at the faux pas of purchasing the wrong cable type and they terminated his contract.

Almost sounds like that could be part of a Yes, Minister / Yes, Prime Minister episode plot, captain. Like the one where Humphries is being grilled in a committee on why a bunch of electrical wiring needed to be stored in climate controlled warehouses. As the questioning lady points out the wiring already comes with nice insulated jacketing to keep it comfy. :29:

I guess you mean the fish eye lens effect some cameras use to create a wider field of view when you mention curved verticals. I see the Logitech 930e uses 1080p with Carl Zeiss optics, very nice.

I had a look at those Rick but I couldn't work out exactly how they worked. I finally settled for a USB extension cable, 6 metres long and cost £16. It works very well and the night-time viewing is in colour. The camera was bought two years ago for the purpose of skyping. During that time it was used ................ twice. I came to the conclusion that my physogue was just too ugly for people to look at. However, my camera is now in full use watching the little birdies noshing away at their new feeding station.

Glad you sorted out your situation, Peri.

The link I sent has two boxes or modules. Your camera would be plugged into the USB of the powered module to give it the boost needed to make it to the second box that connects to your computer's USB. Then an ethernet Cat 5 LAN cable connects the two modules. The module on the camera end has multiple USB ports for several devices.

Back