Hold the Sunset

Well, I found the 'Hold The Sunset' progs on Sky Box Sets. On there go to Channels and then Gold. When on Gold, scroll down to H and you will have the option of downloading the episodes. We downloaded 3 and sat back to watch, fully expecting to see a load of rubbish. Well, I do remember seeing this referred to as a 'Sit Com' which means situation comedy. If it was a sitcom then laughter would have been superimposed to guide you through the parts where you are supposed to laugh. This is not a sitcom. It is a serialized play like Eastenders, Coronation Street, etc. It is a very well performed story about life in later years. There are a couple of characters that are way OTT and I am sure the programme would have been much improved for some better directorship. It is worth a watch but remember it is more of a play and not a sitcom. We will most certainly watch the rest of it. It is a pity we don't see more of Peter Egan and his dog. If you watch it then do not look for comedy. Enjoy the story line. I give it 9 out of 10.

Well, I found the 'Hold The Sunset' progs on Sky Box Sets. On there go to Channels and then Gold. When on Gold, scroll down to H and you will have the option of downloading the episodes. We downloaded 3 and sat back to watch, fully expecting to see a load of rubbish. Well, I do remember seeing this referred to as a 'Sit Com' which means situation comedy. If it was a sitcom then laughter would have been superimposed to guide you through the parts where you are supposed to laugh. This is not a sitcom. It is a serialized play like Eastenders, Coronation Street, etc. It is a very well performed story about life in later years. There are a couple of characters that are way OTT and I am sure the programme would have been much improved for some better directorship. It is worth a watch but remember it is more of a play and not a sitcom. We will most certainly watch the rest of it. It is a pity we don't see more of Peter Egan and his dog. If you watch it then do not look for comedy. Enjoy the story line. I give it 9 out of 10.
So you saw the first three episodes so far. I forget the count, but I think the best episodes are #4 and #5 or #5 and #6 from series one. You are approaching our favorite episode, "Bob the Burglar."

It's always good to find another rare soul out there that enjoys this program!

We watched the next three episodes and the story line keeps growing. It is akin to a jigsaw as little bits of previous life fit in with the present. Unfortunately, the makers of the prog, have decided to delve into the realms of silliness which, for us, is spoiling the programme. Some of the change is very childish. The whole thing now seems to be a mixture of play, sitcom, and children's hour. We will carry on watching it because the main story is rather good. If the silliness continues though then the remote control will have to be brought into action. :confused:

We watched the next three episodes and the story line keeps growing. It is akin to a jigsaw as little bits of previous life fit in with the present. Unfortunately, the makers of the prog, have decided to delve into the realms of silliness which, for us, is spoiling the programme. Some of the change is very childish. The whole thing now seems to be a mixture of play, sitcom, and children's hour. We will carry on watching it because the main story is rather good. If the silliness continues though then the remote control will have to be brought into action. :confused:
So, did you get much further with Hold the Sunset?

Yes codfanglers, we watched another couple of episodes but sadly it went rapidly downhill for us. I was determined to see it through to the end but I got to a point where I decided enough is enough and switched it off. The best part of the show was the St. Bernard dog but even he/she looked fed up. I find it so hard to believe that it was ever passed suitable for public viewing in the first place. I was very disappointed because I was intrigued by the first three episodes. That darned crocodile did it for me. In a word, rubbish. :cry2:

Yes codfanglers, we watched another couple of episodes but sadly it went rapidly downhill for us. I was determined to see it through to the end but I got to a point where I decided enough is enough and switched it off. The best part of the show was the St. Bernard dog but even he/she looked fed up. I find it so hard to believe that it was ever passed suitable for public viewing in the first place. I was very disappointed because I was intrigued by the first three episodes. That darned crocodile did it for me. In a word, rubbish. :cry2:
LOL, I loved that crocodile! My son loves Roger and Bob, but then again, he is 13! I do understand it isn't for everyone.

For me, there is something about how older folk are presented in British comedies that is really great; LOTSW, Waiting for God, Still Open All Hours, (I saw glimpses of One Foot in the Grave, the Major in Fawlty Towers, etc.

I love the awkwardness of Roger, etc. It's a bummer that you couldn't stick with Hold the Sunset, but I do understand.

Although, there was that conversation between John Cleeese and Peter Egan discussing John's late wife and Peter's dog that passed. That was brilliant.

Although, there was that conversation between John Cleeese and Peter Egan discussing John's late wife and Peter's dog that passed. That was brilliant.
Yes, I must admit, I enjoyed the chats between Cleese and Egan but that damned crocodile was total nonsense. It is as though the writers had run out of ideas and were trying to fill in the gaps. The quality of acting seemed to be on the wain and I rather got the impression that John Cleese was not happy with the story line. :35:

LOL, I loved that crocodile! My son loves Roger and Bob, but then again, he is 13! I do understand it isn't for everyone.

For me, there is something about how older folk are presented in British comedies that is really great; LOTSW, Waiting for God, Still Open All Hours, (I saw glimpses of One Foot in the Grave, the Major in Fawlty Towers, etc.

I love the awkwardness of Roger, etc. It's a bummer that you couldn't stick with Hold the Sunset, but I do understand.
Without that crocodile Roger's character would have been acceptable. I have nightmares of Roger chasing me down the street with that b##### crocodile trying to take a lump of my rear for its dinner. :p:D:D:D I've just realized, I put rear and you put bummer. :D:D:D

Back