Holmfirth trip today-not good

ferret

Dedicated Member
Evenin' all. We had a trip to Holmfirth today to have a mooch about and look at the art festival. We had a nice steady drive over the moors and dropped down into the town next to Sids café, on our way to park in the COOP car park the town centre it was very busy and made a note to call in the card shop and have a look at the excellent Summer Wine prints they had for sale in the window. Reversing into a parking spot in the car park the gear selecter on my car broke resulting in no gears and an early end to our trip and a free ride home in a recovery van !
At least the AA man stopped off at the great butchers at Hade Edge I could buy a homemade Scotch egg and a couple of their tasty pork pies. We didn't have any time to go around the town apart from letting the dogs have a walk in the stream and took a couple of photos of the "arty stuff" in the park before the recovery van turned up, so here's to the next visit maybe in a couple of weeks!

Your escapade reminds me of the time when my car, a Plymouth Reliant broke down and we called AAA. The AAA guy arrived with a flat bed truck and confessed to me that he was new at this and this was his very first solo trip. That should have been a red flag. We arrived at the garage and he unloaded the car to a space that was at the top of the hill. Then he asked me for the ignition key. What I didn't know was that you can only remove the ignition key when the car is in park and he had left the car in neutral. I couldn't remove the key. So I fumbled around and took the emergency brake off. The car rolled and would have gone down the hill except it was firmly caught on the concrete strip (that thing they always put at the end of each parking space) in the middle with the front wheels on the pavement and the back wheels suspended over the hill. The tow truck driver helped me get out of the car. Then a police officer arrived and compelled the tow truck driver to hook the car up to the winch. Whew, what a relief! With the help of many people and the tow truck driver operating his winch, the car was hauled back up to solid ground. The next day the garage put the car up on the rack and confirmed that there was no damage to the underside of the car.

Similar but more costly. A man travelled from his home in Spain to Wiltshire in England to collect a £10,000 VINTAGE Rolls Royce. While loading it on to a flat bed trailer for the trip back it rolled off and landed on its roof. His insurance for the trip covered him from mid night that day so he could not claim. He may have to sell it to get his expenses back.:20::30:

Got the car repaired today and here's a couple of pics of the various sofas dotted about the town, they had poems/books etc with them for people to stop and have a read. These ones by the water were full of ducks. Plenty of odd stuff going on all over the town. Due to the car incident I didn't get further than the bridge over the river. Probably going to go back this weekend.

The addition of the books to the sofas seems a lot like the BookCrossing wild-release activity. Participants read books, register them and label with the BookCrossing URL and a unique number, than release them into the wild by leaving them on park benches, coffee shop tables, in train stations, and so forth. If subsequent readers are sufficiently interested to go to the web site and enter data in the book's journal, you can follow your released book wherever it goes.

One lovely day last fall I was relaxing on a bench in Gordon Square (London) when a pleasant, well-dressed woman came by actively looking for a wild-released book to add variety to her reading. She stopped to ask me if I had seen any because my very serious-looking camera and tripod were beside me on the bench, so she thought that I might be a particularly observant person. I wasn't particularly observant that day — I was collapsed there waiting to recover enough energy to walk the half-block to my room at Passfield Hall.

Marianna

When electricity was first invented, some people thought that it was evil and wouldn't have anything to do with it. When telephones were invented, some people were slow to accept them. Now that cell phones (mobiles) have been invented, there is a reduced need for pay phones and they are rapidly disappearing. In a few years, pay phones will be museum pieces. So what is the answer? The answer is that you can either choose to get a very basic cell phone or go without. If you choose to go without, then there is the slight risk that you may end up with some sort of emergency situation that turns into some big long saga because of not having a cell phone. Totally your choice. But it's getting to the point that like it or not, everyone will have some sort of cell phone.

I bought a very basic, prepaid cell phone sometime before early 2011, primarily to have in the car to call AAA in case of a breakdown. Before the year was out I was using it for all calls and had had my landline disconnected. It's always clipped to my clothing, so if there's ever an emergency I won't have to hunt for it. Since I was a very small child my greatest fear has been the possibility of a house fire during the night. I can get myself out at least as far as the front porch roof via one of the bedroom windows, and if it ever happens it will be very handy to be able to call the fire department as soon as I'm out. Especially if I'm on that roof in the middle of the winter in my pajamas!

Many years ago I bought an unlocked GMS phone and a no-contract UK SIM from Telestial to use for international travel, carefully selecting their SIM with the broadest coverage. I don't often use it, but it has prevented a lot of complications, especially when my inbound flight has landed very late and I've needed to notify my lodgings to hold the room.

Marianna

Yeah, I don't see how you can avoid having a cell phone at this point. I held out for many years but eventually got one and got rid of the landline. When I moved into my current house I discovered that the previous owners had removed all the phone wall jacks in a remodel, which tells you a lot. I had to pay to have one put back in for my internet service. Even my soon to be 83 year old father has a cell phone at this point. Where I work we sell phones and a lot of our business is with older folks who are picking them up. They are so cheap now that there really isn't much of an excuse not to have one.

But that does mean phone booths are disappearing. Here in the US they simply go away - I've not seen one repurposed.

I mentioned in a previous thread we never had any problems as kids with two tin cans and a length of string until of course some twonk cut through the string mid call.

Back