If LOSW was still on

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
When the BBC canned losw they stated the reason for this was low viewing figures of around 5 to 6 million a week,looking at the current BBC viewing figures it would put the show in the top 5 of the rankings, this list makes interesting reading http://www.barb.co.uk/whats-new/weekly-top-30 and looking at figures across BBC & ITV most folk watch more news than anything else

In fact if you took the soaps and news out of the listing there is very little that attracts viewers

If LOTSW was still on

I think this shows that entertainment sources are so diverse now that terrestrial TV has waned in terms of viewing figures . I know lots of people who do not have a TV licence now and watch DVD's , listen to music and don't bother with TV or use catch up players . When you think that the top shows years ago Morecambe and Wise et al had way over 20 million viewers it just shows how much TV has been diluted.

Looked at first LOTSW episode date available for Series 20 in April and it was 12th with 8.4 million viewers half a million more than Eastenders last week however much as I would love to see it still on [not repeats] it suffered like other TV shows the penultimate episode ever had lost nearly 4 million viewers [figure was 4.55 million] from that series 20 figure [sadly you cannot go back further] and the last ever episode which you think any fan who had ever watched LOTSW would view achieved only 5.71 million .

I know the drop is nothing like the drop in figures for Eastenders/Corrie but obviously the BEEB sadly thought the series had run its course. Whilst I love the choice of entertainment available it does demonstrate some of the less pleasant advances in technology which has resulted in a dilution in the production of quality programmes . All of that said its great that I can watch some of Glastonbury from 6 of the stages on my laptop without having to fork out £225 to go and suffer the indignity of Chemical Toilets and bucket showers.

Last of the Summer Wine wouldn't have looked out of place on that list of top BBC programmes.

Though the show was past it's best, it still attracted a sizeable audience.

A very loyal audience at that.

What can you say?

A 35 year+ comedy series that by rights should only have lasted no more than 20 years at the most, yet continued to get very reasonable audiences, and survived many cast changes.

Not bad, is it?

The show was like a soap opera in the way it was able to continue.

I still even now think it strange for the BBC to volunteer to give up LOTSW after all those years WHEN THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO.

I do wonder if part of the problem is old stick in the muds like me !! I just missed seeing the early characters and the three main ones in their prime as it were. For me they were all without exception so wonderfully funny and loveable - Wally, Sid, Norah, Ivy, Compo, Foggy, Blamire, Clegg. Those early series were priceless and of course Sid and Wally sadly left us too soon.

Back