If/When should the series have ended?

I am an oddity, in that I quite liked the later series. YES there were some bad ones but overall I liked them. Funnily enough, some of the episodes that most people seem to put in their favourites bin (like Full Steam Behind) I am quite "BLAH" about. Not that I hate them, they just are not among MY favourites.

The one thing I DIDN'T like about the later series was the green screen. I understand why Clegg and Truly had to appear that way towards the end and can just about accept that, but scenes like Howard on the bike and trampoline put me right off!

The stunts on the show have always been a bit "dodgy" but that was part of the charm of the show. At least they WERE done for "real", so the amateurish results were acceptable and fitted in with the general "feel" of the show.

The stuff done with basic CGI and green screen were so OBVIOUSLY faked it jarred the senses.

The tone of the show changed quite a lot over the years and I personally think that was a good thing. I am not, for example, a fan of the 1st two series. However they reflect the times when they were made. Foggy could be quite annoying at times and Seymour was more gentle.

I think because I came to the show late and started in the later periods I tend to think of the episodes around the "Jurassic" era shows as the "classic" ones and so quite liked Alvin, Entwhistle and even Hobbo (after a slow start).

I think the show could have been continued, but it wouldn't be the "same" show. And after all, it NEVER WAS!.

Talking about stunts, even in Compo's last series it looked like it was actually him on a ladder to Nora's window. Does anyone know if that was the case or was it clever editing?

I am an oddity, in that I quite liked the later series. YES there were some bad ones but overall I liked them. Funnily enough, some of the episodes that most people seem to put in their favourites bin (like Full Steam Behind) I am quite "BLAH" about. Not that I hate them, they just are not among MY favourites.

The one thing I DIDN'T like about the later series was the green screen. I understand why Clegg and Truly had to appear that way towards the end and can just about accept that, but scenes like Howard on the bike and trampoline put me right off!

The stunts on the show have always been a bit "dodgy" but that was part of the charm of the show. At least they WERE done for "real", so the amateurish results were acceptable and fitted in with the general "feel" of the show.

The stuff done with basic CGI and green screen were so OBVIOUSLY faked it jarred the senses.

The tone of the show changed quite a lot over the years and I personally think that was a good thing. I am not, for example, a fan of the 1st two series. However they reflect the times when they were made. Foggy could be quite annoying at times and Seymour was more gentle.

I think because I came to the show late and started in the later periods I tend to think of the episodes around the "Jurassic" era shows as the "classic" ones and so quite liked Alvin, Entwhistle and even Hobbo (after a slow start).

I think the show could have been continued, but it wouldn't be the "same" show. And after all, it NEVER WAS!.
I am similar in that I started in the later years. "In Which Gavin Hinchecliffe Loses the Gulf Stream" was the first episode I saw, so that was the norm for me. Also, out of all of the characters, Trully has to be my favorite. I just lose his demeanor.

I am similar in that I started in the later years. "In Which Gavin Hinchecliffe Loses the Gulf Stream" was the first episode I saw, so that was the norm for me. Also, out of all of the characters, Trully has to be my favorite. I just lose his demeanor.
I think there are more of us latter episode fans than people think on this forum! I too prefer the later series, I find the pace much more relaxing and easier to lose yourself in Summer Wine land. If I'm after more belly laughs I watch the earlier episodes but if you accept that the last 10 years are a very different comedy I think you can enjoy them for what they are. For that reason I'd have been happy for the series to continue.

I think there are more of us latter episode fans than people think on this forum! I too prefer the later series, I find the pace much more relaxing and easier to lose yourself in Summer Wine land. If I'm after more belly laughs I watch the earlier episodes but if you accept that the last 10 years are a very different comedy I think you can enjoy them for what they are. For that reason I'd have been happy for the series to continue.
Yes, "Summer Wine Land," as in Andrew Vine's book. It is the level of escapism when watching the show, especially the later years. To me, it is the ideal way of living retired life.

Back