It's Never 10 Years

Garrett

Pauline is having some difficulties getting onto the forum, so she asked me to post this message for her. (BTW, has anyone else had problems logging on recently?)

I was watching the episode "It's Never Ten Years" this morning on GOLD recordings and i know a lot of people say that it's innacurate because of the timing, but I'm wondering if the actors were in a sort of way.....breaking the fourth wall. What I mean by that is, even though they mentioned Compo's name, they were talking about the actor Bill Owen rather than the charcter and they had to talk about the character so that they could show clips of Bill Owen's work within the show. I'm only thinking this because, didn't Bill Owen actually die the year before the character of Compo did? so therefore it WOULD have been ten years, but rather than getting all upset having to do a programme about Bill, they sort of rememberd him in a comedy way......a sort of "thanks for the memoires" by castmates?

Thank you for posting my message Garret and thank you Terry for changing my IP and fixing the problem :)

yeah..a lot of people have ben saying it is inaccutate, when ivwe read differnt places, like comments on youtube, reviews etc and I didn't really think anything of it, but, I don't know, something about it yesterday made me think.

except, Im not sure i got the use of the term "breaking the fourth wall" correct in this instance, so is there a technical term for what I mean?

Bill Owen died in 1999. The death of Compo was transmitted in 2000. 'It's Never Ten Years' was made in 2007, and it was transmitted in 2008.

So they're right in the fact that it's never ten years - nine at best.

Bill Owen died in 1999. The death of Compo was transmitted in 2000. 'It's Never Ten Years' was made in 2007, and it was transmitted in 2008.

Theatrical licence :)
That was a good episode, one of the best without Bill.

Theatrical licence :)
That was a good episode, one of the best without Bill.

Yes, you're right. I don't bother much with the post-Compo episodes, but this is a good episode.
LOTSW never relied on old footage before or after this, and in some (American usually) it can be tacky; but this is nicely done. Unsurprisingly, they didn't use the vintage shows for clips as the photography just wouldn't blend in.

When I first saw this, I assumed it was going to be about Truly's return to the village as the title suggests. Then I saw in the titles Bill Owen as Compo. This was going to be something special. And it was.

This episode would have been perfect as a series finale in 2010.

Yes, you're right. I don't bother much with the post-Compo episodes, but this is a good episode.
LOTSW never relied on old footage before or after this, and in some (American usually) it can be tacky; but this is nicely done. Unsurprisingly, they didn't use the vintage shows for clips as the photography just wouldn't blend in.

Looking back on it I disagree with wstol. If I recall correctly, it is only showing flashback clips from Last Post and Pigeon. I would have loved to have seen a compilation of the best of Compo i from all eras. Of course, then the episode would have to been at least one hour.

As for the Series finale in 2010. Touching on a topic brought up by many, there have been so much honoring of Compo after the passing of Bill Owen. What about a grand finale where Clarke finds a way to honor Brian Wilde, Kathy Staff, etc. That would also be more than one hour though.

Looking back on it I disagree with wstol. If I recall correctly, it is only showing flashback clips from Last Post and Pigeon. I would have loved to have seen a compilation of the best of Compo i from all eras. Of course, then the episode would have to been at least one hour.

As for the Series finale in 2010. Touching on a topic brought up by many, there have been so much honoring of Compo after the passing of Bill Owen. What about a grand finale where Clarke finds a way to honor Brian Wilde, Kathy Staff, etc. That would also be more than one hour though.

as well as Howrd throws a wobbler, The Dewhurts Of Ogleby Hall, the episode where the name escapesd me but it's Clegg and truly going in the canal while Compo tows them, Situations Vacant (i think)........................

as well as Howrd throws a wobbler, The Dewhurts Of Ogleby Hall, the episode where the name escapesd me but it's Clegg and truly going in the canal while Compo tows them, Situations Vacant (i think)........................

Tarzan of the towpath.

ah thanks, it's riduculous I was only watching that yesterday from my DVD so i should have remembered.

Bet you Compo could have thought of a good Jane to his Tarzan though eh? ;)

I THINK that as well as Howrd throws a wobbler, The Dewhurts Of Ogleby Hall, the episode where the name escapesd me but it's Clegg and truly going in the canal while Compo tows them, Situations Vacant (i think)........................ I'm not sure now though, I know two out of that list are right and thanks Chuffer - i cant believe I forgot the name in 24 hours.

Back