Location in Go With the Flow

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
Over the years I was curious as to what was over the wall on the other side of the road from Cleggs and Howard's homes. I never got a good view of it.

In Go With the Flow, they show an upper level that, for a moment, might be where Clegg and Howards' homes are, before focusing on the lower area where the trio is playing Cricket. Was this location, with the body of water, the area over the side of Clegg and Howards' homes?

Over the years I was curious as to what was over the wall on the other side of the road from Cleggs and Howard's homes. I never got a good view of it.

In Go With the Flow, they show an upper level that, for a moment, might be where Clegg and Howards' homes are, before focusing on the lower area where the trio is playing Cricket. Was this location, with the body of water, the area over the side of Clegg and Howards' homes?

No that was the same area where Sid's van was parked in Getting Sam Home

If one took a flying leap from the top of that wall, one could nearly land on the roof of the White Horse Pub. There's an easier way down, though — stone steps leading down from the other side of the wall, probably connecting with a very steep footpath coming out somewhere near the pub. Across the road from the pub, there's an unnamed stream and another road.

It's about a mile and three-quarters from Holmfirth. All the above was gleaned from Google Earth. I've never yet been there.

Marianna

There's an easier way down, though — stone steps leading down from the other side of the wallMarianna

Actually, if you wander over to Jackson Bridge, and up behind
Clegg's and Howard's houses, and walk over to the wall, you
will find THERE AIN'T NO STEPS!! At least from our many trips
over, that walk and those steps ain't there. Prolly added by
the props department??

I could be wrong, and we did look lots, and we were shown about
by Archie, the dog that lived in the house next door to Clegg's
apparent house. Archie could find no steps down, nor could we.
(In one episode, if you look closely, you will see Archie trot
past behind Clegg's. He's long gone now.)

Actually, if you wander over to Jackson Bridge, and up behind
Which is the front of the house, the side facing the White Horse, or the opposite side? I had assumed that the view always shown in the series was the front. :confused:

Clegg's and Howard's houses, and walk over to the wall, you will find THERE AIN'T NO STEPS!! At least from our many trips over, that walk and those steps ain't there. Prolly added by the props department??
They must have been a prop. :02:

I could be wrong, and we did look lots, and we were shown about by Archie, the dog that lived in the house next door to Clegg's apparent house. Archie could find no steps down, nor could we.
Is there a "permissive path"?

Marianna

I accidently found someone's home video today of Holmfirth and surrounding area that may help you get a glimpse over the wall. It starts out with a view of Bill Owen's grave site and the church. Then about 1 minute in it goes to the "White Horse" - the pub over the wall from Howard and Clegg's house (the second one). It's not a quality movie, but he does pan up so you can see their houses and a little of what is over their wall. The whole video is about 15 minutes long, but only about 2 minutes of the pub and houses.
Marilyn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ03l-biOIs

Is there a "permissive path"?

Far as I can tell, the "front" is where we see the mail slots in
Clegg's and Howard's doors, facing Jackson Bridge and looking
down at the top/back of The White Horse.

The only "permissive paths" I saw were: 1) the driveway in from the
road to the building, and 2) at the far end of the drive is a
"junk pile ??" and a path thru the woods and down into the back
of Jackson Bridge -- not a path to be taken lightly. There is nothing
really around the front to the back of the house where we see folks
coming and going in the shows.

Archie showed us all around the property and Archie knew all!!

Thanks so much to those that added to this thread. I am anxious to visit the Holmfirth area but it will still be a few years until I can get there. I just imagine sightseeing the area and viewing Clegg and Howards street and climbing down to have a pub meal at the White Horse.

I am under the impression that Holmfirth and the surrounding area is a unique arrangement of canals and creeks, roads by edges of cliffs, overlooks, pubs, etc. More than ever I am seeing how this arrangement on Summer Wine is made to appear different than its actual setting. It seems kind of like a maze.

Terry, I know you have the maps sections, but I have a hard time getting into that.

Through reading different members posts over my time here I know a handful of Brit folk can point me in the right direction when I visit. However, I am under the impression that Chuck is the Yank Expert on the Holmfirth area and Marianna is the Yank expert on all other points England.

This is very interesting and helpful information. Thanks a bunch, everyone.

Here's the photo from the Summerwine.net map of the area "over the wall" from Clegg's house. Hope it helps.

I knew I'd seen a stone staircase. It's in the bottom right quadrant of the photo, with access apparently blocked by a light green trash can. The stairs look unsafe — way too easy to fall off the open side. There's also a building in the left bottom quadrant with it's flat roof level with the parking area in front of the houses and with a couple of doors facing toward the pub. There must be access to those doors, either down from the houses or up from the pub.

The details of the photo are easier to see if you save it to your hard disc and open it in a photo viewer where you can enlarge it. (Right click on the photo; select "Save image as"; put it in a folder that makes sense for retrieval. Go to the folder, right click the photo, float the cursor over "Open with"; left click your favorite viewer. Either Windows Live Photo Gallery or Windows Photo Viewer will enlarge quite a lot before losing resolution. If you use another operating system, you're on your own.

Marianna

Attachments

• p32.jpg
    p32.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I am seeing how this arrangement on Summer Wine is made to appear different than its actual setting. It seems kind of like a maze.

Well Yesss. But you gotta see that the territory of LOTSW encompasses
many many areas, including Holmfirth and environs, Marsden, Jackson
Bridge, etc etc. You can spend days jockeying about the many many
shooting locations and still not see them all. Other than Nora's
front door and the Cafe, very little is done in Holmfirth after the
first few series. I think they wanted to move the traffic out of
town.

Here's the photo from the Summerwine.net map of the area "over the wall" from Clegg's house. Hope it helps.

I knew I'd seen a stone staircase. It's in the bottom right quadrant of the photo, with access apparently blocked by a light green trash can. The stairs look unsafe — way too easy to fall off the open side. There's also a building in the left bottom quadrant with it's flat roof level with the parking area in front of the houses and with a couple of doors facing toward the pub. There must be access to those doors, either down from the houses or up from the pub.

The details of the photo are easier to see if you save it to your hard disc and open it in a photo viewer where you can enlarge it. (Right click on the photo; select "Save image as"; put it in a folder that makes sense for retrieval. Go to the folder, right click the photo, float the cursor over "Open with"; left click your favorite viewer. Either Windows Live Photo Gallery or Windows Photo Viewer will enlarge quite a lot before losing resolution. If you use another operating system, you're on your own.

Marianna

Fascinating. The show makes it look like more of a steep drop off from Clegg's road. Thanks for the info. I will take your advice.

Well Yesss. But you gotta see that the territory of LOTSW encompasses
many many areas, including Holmfirth and environs, Marsden, Jackson
Bridge, etc etc. You can spend days jockeying about the many many
shooting locations and still not see them all. Other than Nora's
front door and the Cafe, very little is done in Holmfirth after the
first few series. I think they wanted to move the traffic out of
town.

Lot done in Marsden (Aunties was there for example): and by the sequencing of shots you might think that location A is close to location B (the next shown) - far from it. There is often the suggestion of a canal - that is Marsden as the river flowing through Holmfirth is too shallow (apart from the1850s Holmfirth flood).

Back