Lot of pathos in the show really

C W Northrop

Dedicated Member
The show is funny but there is a lot of pathos in the fact that most of the trio's plans go awry,e.g Seymour's inventions,Compo's bid to bcome a TV star,and Foggy's schemes to become a person of note. IMO anyway

Yes indeed, no bubble of aspiration is left unburst!

;D ONE OF THE GUESTS MADE HIS MARK BY USING PATHOS AS WELL (NORMAN WISDOM :D)

I find that pathos is part of Roy Clarke's comedies in general. Mostly it is with the men and marriage in general usually puts them in sorrowful predicaments (Howard and Pearl, Wally and Nora, Richard Bucket in Appearances, etc.)

In addition to the previous stated characters, there is Wesley's mechanical inventions going awry as well, Howard's failed attempts to find a quiet, undisturbed setting with Marina, Smiler's general hard luck, Billy's desire to build an army, etc.

Another aspect to the show that counteracts the failed aspirations are the false sense of grandeur. There is Foggy with his military background, Seymour's educational background, Billy's ancestry, and Truly's experience at the Yard. Although there is an in control, authoritative demeanor to Truly that makes his bragging rights seem most realistic.

You also would see a bit of saddness and regret in the faces of Foggy & Seymour when they paused to think about their latest foiled attempt at greatness. Maybe that's part of the reason I like Foggy and even Seymour the best of all the characters. Clegg is fun too, but I found Compo to be the least likable, too savagely insulting at times when it wasn't necessary. Also didn't like Pearl for some of the same reasons, she seemed relentlessly insulting and always after Howard. Sheesh, talk about not believing in divorce, after all the years Howard had put up with Pearl you think it would have occurred to him to split.

You also would see a bit of saddness and regret in the faces of Foggy & Seymour when they paused to think about their latest foiled attempt at greatness. Maybe that's part of the reason I like Foggy and even Seymour the best of all the characters. Clegg is fun too, but I found Compo to be the least likable, too savagely insulting at times when it wasn't necessary. Also didn't like Pearl for some of the same reasons, she seemed relentlessly insulting and always after Howard. Sheesh, talk about not believing in divorce, after all the years Howard had put up with Pearl you think it would have occurred to him to split.

Although some characters such as Pearl are intentionally brutal and somewhat "unlikable" in order to compliment the other characters.I always liked Pearl myself. As long as I am not married to her I can find humor in her.

Clegg's thoughts often underline the pathos - a sense of an almighty that somehow does not quite work for him, being very aware of all the failures of his compatriots.

Even his reference to his wife dying - "always thought it a bit of a criticism" or something very similar.

I used to think Compo was most people's favourite in the trio,followed by Clegg

Back